Monday, May 3, 2010

Honda Reflex Group Digest Number 4815

Messages In This Digest (12 Messages)

1a.
Re: ABS vs. Base Model From: markobaldo
1b.
Re: ABS vs. Base Model From: Lincoln Fisher
1c.
Re: ABS vs. Base Model From: Michael
2.
'04 Reflex From: Steve
3a.
need a new exhaust From: kaotikgraphix
3b.
Re: need a new exhaust From: BruceK
3c.
Re: need a new exhaust From: John D
3d.
Re: need a new exhaust From: Tim Hansen
4.
reflex exhaust From: kaotikgraphix
5a.
Re: Back on a Reflex ... '05 Silverwing for sale From: skydad@bellsouth.net
6a.
Re: Hard bags From: jim borton
6b.
Re: Hard bags From: jim borton

Messages

1a.

Re: ABS vs. Base Model

Posted by: "markobaldo" msbryer@gmail.com   markobaldo

Sun May 2, 2010 6:16 am (PDT)



Though I agree with most of Andrew's reply, I think it's worth noting that our ABS system saved us (yes, US... we almost always ride two-up) on dry road conditions when a deer came out of nowhere & crossed the road right in front of us! MAYBE a non-ABS Reflex would have done just as well, but I'm not willing to take that test. We have 16,000 miles on our Reflex and only "needed" the ABS that one time. You decide.
Mark
>
> We have two '07 Reflex Sports, one the ABS model & one the non. I've ridden a 3rd one a few times as well---an '03 Sport a friend has which he bought used. There is a bit of a difference in the braking between the two models, but not noticeable enough to conclude that there is a huge difference. The ABS braking is a tad quicker and very even. I don't do much riding in the rain, unless I am caught in it, so most of my driving is on dry pavement. The non-ABS is still excellent with stopping, and the overall difference in feel is minimal. Incidentally, I have logged 4000 miles on the ABS, and maybe 200 miles on the non.
>
> Now, if I were buying new and two were side-by-side on the showroom floor, I'd go for the ABS. If they had one, a non-ABS, I wouldn't hesitate to buy that one. My real-life scenario was exactly this---I bought the last Reflex in the Buffalo area, the ABS model. One month later, after a dealer search, we purchased the only Reflex left within a two-hour radius. It was the non-ABS. It was the last one available so we bought it, and it has been fantastic in every way.
>
> For today's used market, I wouldn't look specifically for an ABS model. If one was available, great. If a non-ABS came first at a decent price, I wouldn't hesitate at all---I'd buy it. The non-ABS is so close in performance that you just may pass up a few good deals trying to wait for an ABS model. Either model performs nicely when it comes to the braking.
>
> Good luck with whatever you decide.
> Andrew
>
> --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "jaluvri" <jaluvri@> wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone rode both a base model and an ABS model? Should I set aside a GOOD deal on a base to pursue an ABS model? Most I find seem to be base models. Real world experience in this matter would be helpful. Thanx for your help guys!!
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

1b.

Re: ABS vs. Base Model

Posted by: "Lincoln Fisher" lfisher100@comcast.net   lfisher100

Sun May 2, 2010 7:43 am (PDT)



Group,
Be careful when buying ABS.
When my sister dumped my scoot, I had the broken plastic replaced by the Honda dealer. (Don't ask, alot of $$)
My Reflex now "says" that it is ABS on the fairing labels but it really isn't.
Be sure to look for the other 2 clues.

Ride safe, Buyer Beware!

Lincoln '03 non-ABS Reflex CT, USA

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1c.

Re: ABS vs. Base Model

Posted by: "Michael" mbr987@comcast.net   bandito_two

Sun May 2, 2010 10:09 pm (PDT)



--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "BruceK" <bruce@...> wrote:
>
> There is an "ABS" label on the bike, and "ABS" indicator on the speedometer, and wires coming from near the brake disks.
>
> Bruce
>
> --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, GHOF@ wrote:
> >
> >
> > How can you tell a non-ABS from the ABS, without riding one or both? Are the master cylinders different?
> >
> > RRon
> >
> >
/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /
Also, besides the wires near the brake calipers on both the front
and rear brakes, there is the "ABS" indicator light(on the tachometer
actually), and in the space between the axle and brake disk is a
thing called the pulser ring. An inner disk if you will, with lots
of radial slots. As noted elsewhere, the "ABS" sticker on the bike
is not a reliable indicator that there is an ABS sytem on the bike.
Likewise, the lack of an "ABS" sticker on the bike does not mean that an ABS system is not on the bike. You have to see the wires, pulser
rings, and ABS indicator light to know for sure.

Mike B.

(Rochester Hills Michigan Double Dark Side Rider)
(2007 Honda NSS250S Reflex Sport "Scarlet")
(2006 Honda FSC600A Silverwing "Jester")

"Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

**** While knowledge has power, It is what you do with what you
know that is important.
It gives the knowledge validity and demonstrates its worth.
Use it wisely. **** (I wish I knew more)


2.

'04 Reflex

Posted by: "Steve" steve.stansberry@yahoo.com   steve.stansberry

Sun May 2, 2010 8:22 am (PDT)



Well...my wife won out. I did not take the Flex. The gal had another college that did want it if I didn't take it Plus she got $1500.00 for it ovey my $1000.00. She did OK. The scoot was/is in great shape, no scratches or noticable wear.

Steve Roseville, CA

3a.

need a new exhaust

Posted by: "kaotikgraphix" kaotikgraphix@yahoo.com   kaotikgraphix

Sun May 2, 2010 9:24 am (PDT)



well i just got my 02 reflex and its a big step up from my old scooter (chineese knock off)
i already did h.i.d. headlights autopage alarm a bunch of chrome stuff from dragon customs now im trying to find an exhaust for her but am coming up empty handed no one has the leo vince so if someone can make a suggestion as to where i can get an aftermarket exhaust or if some one has one for sale please let me know you can call or text me at 2152643802

thanks in advance i just joined this group and its great well out to the garage its k-mod time

3b.

Re: need a new exhaust

Posted by: "BruceK" bruce@aplusservices.com   bruceakoehler

Sun May 2, 2010 11:14 am (PDT)



First, FYI - ALL aftermarket exhausts for Reflex are ILLEGAL, because the stock Reflex system has a Catalyst unit in the "muffler".

Having said that:

1. Look in the FILES section for one low-cost and pleasant alternative.

2. Leo Vince made one for around $350 - it DOES sound DIFFERENT, but does not add power.

3. There are TONS of them available in Japan - but to our knowledge, no one will export them (illegal?).

Hope that helps

Bruce Koehler - the Koehlerizer
Santa Cruz, CA

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "kaotikgraphix" <kaotikgraphix@...> wrote:
>
> well i just got my 02 reflex and its a big step up from my old scooter (chineese knock off)
> i already did h.i.d. headlights autopage alarm a bunch of chrome stuff from dragon customs now im trying to find an exhaust for her but am coming up empty handed no one has the leo vince so if someone can make a suggestion as to where i can get an aftermarket exhaust or if some one has one for sale please let me know you can call or text me at 2152643802
>
> thanks in advance i just joined this group and its great well out to the garage its k-mod time
>

3c.

Re: need a new exhaust

Posted by: "John D" dc2daylight@yahoo.com   dc2daylight

Sun May 2, 2010 6:53 pm (PDT)



Bruce,

Are emissions test required on bikes in the PRC? I was just wondering why and where aftermarket exhausts are illegal.

John

________________________________
From: BruceK <bruce@aplusservices.com>
To: hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, May 2, 2010 11:12:23 AM
Subject: Honda Reflex Group Re: need a new exhaust

First, FYI - ALL aftermarket exhausts for Reflex are ILLEGAL, because the stock Reflex system has a Catalyst unit in the "muffler".

Having said that:

1. Look in the FILES section for one low-cost and pleasant alternative.

2. Leo Vince made one for around $350 - it DOES sound DIFFERENT, but does not add power.

3. There are TONS of them available in Japan - but to our knowledge, no one will export them (illegal?).

Hope that helps

Bruce Koehler - the Koehlerizer
Santa Cruz, CA

--- In hondareflexowners@ yahoogroups. com, "kaotikgraphix" <kaotikgraphix@ ...> wrote:
>
> well i just got my 02 reflex and its a big step up from my old scooter (chineese knock off)
> i already did h.i.d. headlights autopage alarm a bunch of chrome stuff from dragon customs now im trying to find an exhaust for her but am coming up empty handed no one has the leo vince so if someone can make a suggestion as to where i can get an aftermarket exhaust or if some one has one for sale please let me know you can call or text me at 2152643802
>
> thanks in advance i just joined this group and its great well out to the garage its k-mod time
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3d.

Re: need a new exhaust

Posted by: "Tim Hansen" phreadbarnz@gmail.com   phreadbarnz

Sun May 2, 2010 11:58 pm (PDT)



I believe it has to do with noise and performance......
TravlinTim (who thinks squeaky brakes save more lives than loud pipes)
Hansen
phreadbarnz@gmail.com

--------------------------------------------------
From: "John D" <dc2daylight@yahoo.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2010 6:53 PM
To: <hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: Honda Reflex Group Re: need a new exhaust

> Bruce,
>
> Are emissions test required on bikes in the PRC? I was just wondering why
> and where aftermarket exhausts are illegal.
>
> John


4.

reflex exhaust

Posted by: "kaotikgraphix" kaotikgraphix@yahoo.com   kaotikgraphix

Sun May 2, 2010 9:24 am (PDT)



hoping someone can help me im looking for an aftermarket exhaust for my 02 reflex used or new ive been looking everywhere but coming up empty so if someone has one or can lead me in the right direction please let me know you can call or text me 2152643802

thanks in advance

5a.

Re: Back on a Reflex ... '05 Silverwing for sale

Posted by: "skydad@bellsouth.net" skydad@bellsouth.net   skydad@bellsouth.net

Sun May 2, 2010 5:47 pm (PDT)



I have a 2003 Reflex with ABS and 26,000+ miles. Wonderful, maneuverable little bike. I also have a 2003 Silver Wing with ABS and about 15,000+ miles. The SW is my highway bike when I go riding with my sons and son-in-law who have Shadow 1300's and one has a Harley Road King, but I prefer the Reflex for local running. Nice and light and so maneuverable. I've been off line for a good while so thought I better check and see what's going on here. By the way, I bought both the Reflex(in Mobile, AL) and the SW(in Jacksonville, FL) because they had ABS. Personally, to me, it was worth the wait to find them with this extra safety feature. I'm in southeast Louisiana.

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "too_canaille" <tedinger01@...> wrote:
>
> Just got another Reflex,'07 ABS, about a month ago. I had an '04 ABS a few years ago but decided to move up to a Silverwing. The Silverwing is a nice bike but heavier and not as maneuverable as the Reflex. I LUV the Reflex :-)! It's the best bike for the type of riding I mostly do.
>
> I also LUV this Reflex "community" ... people willing to share information and knowledge about the Reflex. I know we all truly appreciate Bruce for starting this way back when.
>
> The Silverwing (with about 21K miles) is for sale ... I'm in no rush, haven't advertised online (Craig list), but would eventually like to sell it if anyone knows someone that might be interested. You can send me a private message/email ... I'm in central Louisiana.
>
> It's good to be "back" :-)!
>
> Ted
>

6a.

Re: Hard bags

Posted by: "jim borton" gondola1545@yahoo.com   gondola1545

Mon May 3, 2010 5:19 am (PDT)



I tried to buy from them...  Paid them last Dec...  Still have not received my parts...  I called and emailed them last week told them to refund my money on my credit card...  They(Joe in parts) said they have a new mechanic in training...  

________________________________
From: csburridge <csburridge@yahoo.com>
To: hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Fri, April 30, 2010 4:38:55 PM
Subject: Honda Reflex Group Re: Hard bags

 
Hi William,

Yeah, those saddlebags look cool, but I can't make out the name on the side of the bag. I could not find an exact match, but I did find something close. The bike is either a Roadmaster 250 Special Edition(the bags make it special?), or a Roketa MC-54B 250. A company named Family Motorsports Inc. sells the bikes. Also, FMI states in their FAQ section they stock parts for everything they sell. Now I don't know if that includes the saddlebags and mounting hardware. but here's a link to them:

http://www.family- motorsports. com/category_ s/117.htm

Almost makes me want to buy a Roadmaster SE, just to tear it apart and find out what is Reflex and What is not. That might be fun.
Ride Safe

Craig Burridge

--- In hondareflexowners@ yahoogroups. com, "William" <clarkartistry@ ...> wrote:
>
> Found this picture of a clone with these nice saddlebags.. .would like to purchase some if anyone knows where...and they are not priced ridiculously. ..any suggestions? Here is a link to the pic.
>
> http://i100. photobucket. com/albums/ m8/airnerd/ oimg_GC01004859_ CA01585451. jpg
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6b.

Re: Hard bags

Posted by: "jim borton" gondola1545@yahoo.com   gondola1545

Mon May 3, 2010 5:30 am (PDT)



Even though I saw these saddlebags on the web...  What are you going to do for the hardware...  The hardware is for mounting the bags to the bike...

________________________________
From: csburridge <csburridge@yahoo.com>
To: hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Fri, April 30, 2010 5:05:42 PM
Subject: Honda Reflex Group Re: Hard bags

 
William,
One more time, check out this link for those hard bags:

http://www.bjspricebuster.com/LG_HARD_SADDLEBAGS.php

Craig

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Group Charity

Hands On Network

Volunteering has

never been so easy

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Bi-polar disorder

Find support

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

No comments:

Post a Comment