Saturday, April 24, 2010

Honda Reflex Group Digest Number 4806

Messages In This Digest (11 Messages)

1a.
Re: Fuel Filter/Fuel LInes From: MichaelB
1b.
Re: Fuel Filter/Fuel LInes From: TubaTim
1c.
Re: Fuel Filter/Fuel LInes From: brian_cirulnick
2a.
Re: Need stock windshield From: brian_cirulnick
3a.
Re: Would sealant likely help a tire valve leak? From: BruceK
4a.
Rubber windshield trim From: LincolnF
4b.
Re: Rubber windshield trim From: TubaTim
4c.
Re: Rubber windshield trim From: Joe Barnhart
5a.
New Scoot From: Steve
5b.
Re: New Scoot From: rvtips
6.
Seat vinyl replacement From: yerfdog_forza

Messages

1a.

Re: Fuel Filter/Fuel LInes

Posted by: "MichaelB" mikeveg@yahoo.com   mikeveg

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:46 am (PDT)



Bruce,

Relocating it does indeed make a lot of sense. I just REALLY don't feel like pulling off the tupperware (I have so many other projects going on right now, including modifying an 18' daysailing trimaran for a 300 mile adventure race my wife and I are doing next March), and I have a bad habit of getting really stubborn and indignant about finding a better way to do things when I don't like the status quo. I'm going to re-read the instructions, but having to pull the wing and tail section off (if I'm reading it correctly) in order to access something that far forward just rubs me the wrong way.

Not all of my ideas are great ones, so I'll think about it before I cut the plasticky stuff!

Mike

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "BruceK" <bruce@...> wrote:
>
> How about RELOCATE IT - using some added hose - instead of cutting an access panel?
>
> Bruce

1b.

Re: Fuel Filter/Fuel LInes

Posted by: "TubaTim" phreadbarnz@gmail.com   phreadbarnz

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:21 am (PDT)



The fuel filter (and tank) are under the front black plastic 'hump' piece. If you look at the design (with all the curves) you will see that you will need to push the piece back some before it will clear all the other parts.
You shouldn't have to remove the side panels, but you may have to loosen them. That does include removing the rear wing.

Once it's off, you'll see where you can relocate the filter.

HTH
TravlinTim (who has only removed the rear panels once) Hansen
phreadbarnz@gmail.com

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "MichaelB" <mikeveg@...> wrote:
>
> Bruce,
>
> Relocating it does indeed make a lot of sense. I just REALLY don't feel like pulling off the tupperware (I have so many other projects going on right now, including modifying an 18' daysailing trimaran for a 300 mile adventure race my wife and I are doing next March), and I have a bad habit of getting really stubborn and indignant about finding a better way to do things when I don't like the status quo. I'm going to re-read the instructions, but having to pull the wing and tail section off (if I'm reading it correctly) in order to access something that far forward just rubs me the wrong way.
>
> Not all of my ideas are great ones, so I'll think about it before I cut the plasticky stuff!
>
> Mike
>
> --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "BruceK" <bruce@> wrote:
> >
> > How about RELOCATE IT - using some added hose - instead of cutting an access panel?
> >
> > Bruce
>

1c.

Re: Fuel Filter/Fuel LInes

Posted by: "brian_cirulnick" techrat@obsolyte.com   brian_cirulnick

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:34 am (PDT)





--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "MichaelB" <mikeveg@...> wrote:
>
> Seems as though it's time to change the fuel filter..... and I don't relish spending the bucks that Honda wants for a simple inline filter. Does anybody know the fuel line size offhand? That way, I could actually buy the CORRECT fuel filter before I go disassemble the bike. Speaking of which, WHAT MORON CAME UP WITH THE FUEL FILTER LOCATION??? He should have spent some quality time with the guy who designed the spark plug door!
>

I was reading ahead so I know you've already purchased a filter on ebay, but I'd like to point out that almost any in-line, non EFI fuel filter will work. I'm using "classic" VW Beetle parts on my Nighthawk 250, and beetle filters can be had for as low as $1 each.

I was also at a car show with a swap meet area and found even smaller filters for $1.50, and they are still clear see-through.

2a.

Re: Need stock windshield

Posted by: "brian_cirulnick" techrat@obsolyte.com   brian_cirulnick

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:43 am (PDT)





--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "blisee" <blisee@...> wrote:
>
> Any of you folks swapping out your stock windshield for a Givi would like to sell it, I'd be interested. Like new, of course! I'm in NY, BTW.
>
> Krgds, Barry Lisee
>

Barry; where in NY? I'm in Belleville NJ (just north of Newark). I just swapped in a Givi 211 (and then had to cut it down a bit), but my stock windsheild is sitting in my basement.

Yours FREE if you come get it -- otherwise, I charge you $20 for my trouble of packing and shipping.

TTYL
Brian C.

3a.

Re: Would sealant likely help a tire valve leak?

Posted by: "BruceK" bruce@aplusservices.com   bruceakoehler

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:22 am (PDT)



There is another force at hand - that is air pressure - escaping through the leakage point. It will cause the sealant to flow there. Sealant is also very good at fixing rim-to-tire leaks.

While centrifugal force is dominant while in motion, the goo has other opportunities to get motivated when the tire isn't rotating.

For what it's worth

Bruce Koehler - the Koehlerizer
Santa Cruz, CA

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "neclark" <neclark@...> wrote:
>
> Good afternoon, all -
>
> I'd also had a slow air-loss situation which I traced to a faulty valve-stem...in your case, the shop may have installed an old stem with a hardening grommet, which didn't conform well to the wheel to achieve a seal. Or maybe they strained the grommet in the installation process.
>
> I'm intrigued by the idea of using tire sealant to help a seeping valve stem; but as a mental exercise, I wonder whether sealant could actually get to the `inside' of a spinning wheel? I'd expect the centrifugal/centripetal forces of a spinning wheel to cause the sealant to all flow to the center of the tread-zone.
>
> Just for fun...
>
> NC in LB CA
>
> --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "BruceK" <bruce@> wrote:
> >
> > There is nothing unique about that tire valve. Go to any tire shop and you can get one.
> >
> >
> > But - having experiences something similar, I suggest that you simply get some PJ1 or other tire sealant COMPATIBLE WITH ALLOY WHEELS and suitable for high-speed cycle use (yes - high-speed, not ATV speed). Squirt it in and your problem WILL be solved - no hassle.
> >
> > Hope that helps
> >
> > Bruce Koehler - the Koehlerizer
> > Santa Cruz, CA
>

4a.

Rubber windshield trim

Posted by: "LincolnF" lfisher100@comcast.net   lfisher100

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:45 pm (PDT)



My rubber trim is starting to pull out on one side of the windshield. I'm talking about the black rubber piece that goes around the bottom of the shield and keeps it separate from the yellow plastic front.
Any advice how to put it back and get it to stay there? I tried to tuck it back in and I think that I made it worse.
Thanks in advance!

Lincoln '03 Yellow Reflex CT, USA

4b.

Re: Rubber windshield trim

Posted by: "TubaTim" phreadbarnz@gmail.com   phreadbarnz

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:55 pm (PDT)



I used black silicone for a while. Then I just removed it completly
TravlinTim (who has longer tire levers now) Hansen
phreadbarnz@gmail.com

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "LincolnF" <lfisher100@...> wrote:
>
> My rubber trim is starting to pull out on one side of the windshield. I'm talking about the black rubber piece that goes around the bottom of the shield and keeps it separate from the yellow plastic front.
> Any advice how to put it back and get it to stay there? I tried to tuck it back in and I think that I made it worse.
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Lincoln '03 Yellow Reflex CT, USA
>

4c.

Re: Rubber windshield trim

Posted by: "Joe Barnhart" flaboye@gmail.com   jtbgnsv

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:25 pm (PDT)



I got tired of mine too, on an '01 and snatched it off.

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 5:53 PM, TubaTim <phreadbarnz@gmail.com> wrote:

>
>
> I used black silicone for a while. Then I just removed it completly
> TravlinTim (who has longer tire levers now) Hansen
> phreadbarnz@gmail.com <phreadbarnz%40gmail.com>
>
> --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com<hondareflexowners%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "LincolnF" <lfisher100@...> wrote:
> >
> > My rubber trim is starting to pull out on one side of the windshield. I'm
> talking about the black rubber piece that goes around the bottom of the
> shield and keeps it separate from the yellow plastic front.
> > Any advice how to put it back and get it to stay there? I tried to tuck
> it back in and I think that I made it worse.
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Lincoln '03 Yellow Reflex CT, USA
> >
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

New Scoot

Posted by: "Steve" steve.stansberry@yahoo.com   steve.stansberry

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:56 pm (PDT)



Hi All, I may be the proud owner of an '04 Flex again. If you all remember I got one about a yr-n-a-half ago and my neighbor help me fix it up and then sold it to a college girl. Well, she has graduated to a Honda Shadow 750 and has offered the scoot back to me. For $i,000.00 don't see to much bad about it. She only put 1300 miles on it. My wife is against it due to my back surgery, But................i want it!!!

Steve Roseville, CA

5b.

Re: New Scoot

Posted by: "rvtips" rvtips@yahoo.com   rvtips

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:39 pm (PDT)



Steve,
If you don't take it I will.
Phil[In Martinez]

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <steve.stansberry@...> wrote:
>
> Hi All, I may be the proud owner of an '04 Flex again. If you all remember I got one about a yr-n-a-half ago and my neighbor help me fix it up and then sold it to a college girl. Well, she has graduated to a Honda Shadow 750 and has offered the scoot back to me. For $i,000.00 don't see to much bad about it. She only put 1300 miles on it. My wife is against it due to my back surgery, But................i want it!!!
>
> Steve Roseville, CA
>

6.

Seat vinyl replacement

Posted by: "yerfdog_forza" emailgvi@gmail.com   yerfdog_forza

Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:40 am (PDT)



Hi All,

Just added a file showing how I replace the seat vinyl. It was a DYI job, so cannot really compare with professional, but I happy that I saved myself A$200, a good experience.

Cheers

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Share Photos

Put your favorite

photos and

more online.

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Learn about issues

Find support

Yahoo! Groups

Dog Group

Connect and share with

dog owners like you

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Welcome to Mom Connection! Share stories, news and more with moms like you.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment