Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Honda Reflex Group Digest Number 4774

Messages In This Digest (15 Messages)

Messages

1.

D'oh! Now I feel stupid.

Posted by: "brian_cirulnick" techrat@obsolyte.com   brian_cirulnick

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:03 pm (PDT)



Wanted to post this last week, but never had the chance... After a crazy rainstorm (which knocked out power to half of NJ it seems), the sky's cleared and I got a good week of riding to work.

I solved all my electrical problems from last year. (for those that don't remember, I was claiming my Tach jumped around a lot, particularly when hitting bumps)...

Ready for the solution?

Tighten the battery connections.

D'oh!

I found my positive lead was loose. Once I tightened it down, ALL my electrical problems vanished. I also got back about 2 or 3 HP if you can believe that. The bike feels more zippy, no kidding.

I never had an issue starting, so the battery lead wasn't suspect and I never looked. As I rolled the bike out of the garage after the winter, I decided to give the battery a quick charge, and that's when I discovered the loose lead.

Well, I feel pretty silly now, but hey, I'm glad it was a simple fix and now I can get down to the serious business of riding the hell out of it during this season.

Keep the shiny side up....

2a.

Re: tire inquiry

Posted by: "barrettpat56" barrettpat@hughes.net   barrettpat56

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:49 pm (PDT)





--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "tailmaster" <freedomfyter@...> wrote:

> 3rd Annual Slayride at the Tail of the Dragon next week will be the first one on this tire.

Obviously, You must live fairly close to the "Tail". I think We are all jealous; do you ever get tired of riding it? I have a beautiful ride around Coeur D' Alene Lake in Idaho but it can't compare with what I have only heard of the " Tail ". Oh well, You just pretend that we are all riding right behind you. Ride - On ! ! !

3a.

How about a new group picture, Bruce?

Posted by: "barrettpat56" barrettpat@hughes.net   barrettpat56

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:57 pm (PDT)



That picture of Yosemite is nice but it's been up there fore ever. Isn't there a Redwood tree by where you live that you could park a Reflex inside? or by the pier in Santa cruz? I know, you're a busy guy . . . Thanks for taking such good care of this group. Pat B. in Spokane.

3b.

Re: How about a new group picture, Bruce? - SURE!

Posted by: "BruceK" bruce@aplusservices.com   bruceakoehler

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:21 pm (PDT)



OK - for the rest of March, submit photos in the "4_Group Homepage folder at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hondareflexowners/photos/album/90968309/pic/list

or

http://tinyurl.com/yft7gqd

in the PHOTOS section.

After all are submitted (April 1 cutoff), I will narrow it down to 10, then set a poll to have a vote for the favorite.

Keep in mind that as you submit photos, the SUBJECT (Honda Reflex) needs to be the FEATURED ITEM, and please don't just submit photos of the scooter itself - there are plenty of those. PEOPLE and/or SCENERY make it interesting.

Have fun

Bruce

PS - there are some photos already there from old submissions.

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "barrettpat56" <barrettpat@...> wrote:
>
> That picture of Yosemite is nice but it's been up there fore ever. Isn't there a Redwood tree by where you live that you could park a Reflex inside? or by the pier in Santa cruz? I know, you're a busy guy . . . Thanks for taking such good care of this group. Pat B. in Spokane.
>

4a.

Re: Ugliest scooter I've ever seen (IMNSHO)

Posted by: "Vance" bikestuf@yahoo.com   bikestuf

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:24 pm (PDT)



Good talent,lousy theme and waaay overdone. Almost put it on my watch list just to see if anyone would bid on it. But then, I remembered what Barnum said.

vw

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Hansen" <phreadbarnz@...> wrote:
>
> eBay Item #320505238847
>
> TravlinTim (who doesn't understand that level of custom paint) Hansen
> phreadbarnz@...
>

4b.

Re: Ugliest scooter I've ever seen (IMNSHO)

Posted by: "jhcaudill" jnscaudills@msn.com   jhcaudill

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:45 pm (PDT)



Looking beyond the obvious, it could be that the entire listing is just an advertisement for his airbrush services. The reserve could be set so high, that it will never sell for a value representing a 2003 Reflex. This could be a "display" that the artist takes to various motorcyle and car shows: an illustration of what the artist can provide. I actually believe the vehicle is not legally roadworthy with the windshield opaque as it appears to be. The design is such, that it would look very "incomplete" if the painted windshield were replaced with a clear one, and it would be too much trouble to switch windshields for riding and displaying.

Just my thoughts

Jim Caudill

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "Vance" <bikestuf@...> wrote:
>
> Good talent,lousy theme and waaay overdone. Almost put it on my watch list just to see if anyone would bid on it. But then, I remembered what Barnum said.
>
> vw
>
>
>
> --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Hansen" <phreadbarnz@> wrote:
> >
> > eBay Item #320505238847
> >
> > TravlinTim (who doesn't understand that level of custom paint) Hansen
> > phreadbarnz@
> >
>

4c.

Re: Ugliest scooter I've ever seen (IMNSHO)

Posted by: "Cathy Hamma" cathy@clktech.com   webcat95

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:22 am (PDT)



I pretty much agree with Tim here. I do changes based upon the concept that
somebody else isn't going to like my level of customization - not only
paint, but mechanical add-ons, as well - when I want to sell it someday and
try to make sure I can bring the bike back to stock.

Cathy (who thinks all that white dash would be pretty glaring on a ride)
Hamma

2007 Honda Reflex, NW Chicago Suburbs, Illinois

From: hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tim Hansen
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 1:28 AM
To: ReflexOwners
Subject: Honda Reflex Group Ugliest scooter I've ever seen (IMNSHO)

eBay Item #320505238847

TravlinTim (who doesn't understand that level of custom paint) Hansen
phreadbarnz@iwon.com <mailto:phreadbarnz%40iwon.com>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4d.

Re: Ugliest scooter I've ever seen (IMNSHO)

Posted by: "Joan" jdbrot@yahoo.com   jdbrot

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:41 am (PDT)



I would bid a dollar on it just to park it in front of my workplace. No one would steal it, ever.

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "Cathy Hamma" <cathy@...> wrote:
>
> I pretty much agree with Tim here. I do changes based upon the concept that
> somebody else isn't going to like my level of customization - not only
> paint, but mechanical add-ons, as well - when I want to sell it someday and
> try to make sure I can bring the bike back to stock.
>
>
>
> Cathy (who thinks all that white dash would be pretty glaring on a ride)
> Hamma
>
> 2007 Honda Reflex, NW Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
>
>
>
> From: hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tim Hansen
> Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 1:28 AM
> To: ReflexOwners
> Subject: Honda Reflex Group Ugliest scooter I've ever seen (IMNSHO)
>
>
>
>
>
> eBay Item #320505238847
>
> TravlinTim (who doesn't understand that level of custom paint) Hansen
> phreadbarnz@... <mailto:phreadbarnz%40iwon.com>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

5a.

easy things to try?

Posted by: "rieger_cl" rieger@faircraft.com   rieger_cl

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:14 pm (PDT)



Last summer I had a minor squirrel incident and laid down my 2002 Reflex at about 20 MPH. Afterwards, it was still rideable but it seemed to run rougher than before. When it got colder (say 50 degrees) it would take a long time to warm up (stalling out 3 or more times before idling properly). I have no idea if the accident made it worse, but it seemed to. The scooter has been idle through the cold months (with a full tank of gas). Now I'm ready to make it out of hibernation and would like some advice about diagnosing/fixing the problem.

I have very little experience with motorcycle (or auto) maintenance. I managed to do the K-mod last year (well before and unrelated to the accident), but it was quite challenging for a rookie.

From what I've read, all of the following are possible sources of my problem:
1. faulty SE thermal valve
2. air leaking past intake pipe
3. misadjusted idle speed
4. improper ignition timing
5. improper valve clearance
6. clogged carburator
7. clogged fuel filter
8. clogged fuel tube
9. bad spark plug
etc, etc.

So, in the spirit of the drunk who looks for his keys under the street lamp, I'd like some suggestions of what (relatively) easy things I should try. I changed the spark plug because that was cheap and easy, but it didn't seem to do much. I imagine there are some other things I can do that aren't as heroic as trying to get to the fuel filter or messing with the carburetor. (I don't need instructions how to check/fix things; I can find those in the books and in this group.)

Thanks guys.

5b.

Re: easy things to try?

Posted by: "BruceK" bruce@aplusservices.com   bruceakoehler

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:47 pm (PDT)



OK - first, let me comment on your list below:

> 1. faulty SE thermal valve - possible, but unlikely
> 2. air leaking past intake pipe - possible, easily diagnosed with Starting Fluid and a spray straw - if there's a leak and you spray on it, the engine will speed up.
> 3. misadjusted idle speed - well, what is it? Should be 1500 - 1600 WHEN WARMED UP. There is no adjustment for cold idle (other than you hand on the throttle).
> 4. improper ignition timing - impossible - not adjustable
> 5. improper valve clearance - possible, not real easy to do, but not too hard.
> 6. clogged carburator - unlikely
> 7. clogged fuel filter - would affect HIGH SPEED
> 8. clogged fuel tube - see above
> 9. bad spark plug - you already changed it.
> etc, etc.
>

There's a good chance that you AIR FILTER might be saturated with OIL as a result of your mishap. This is definitely at the top of my list for a Reflex that has taken a spill...

Drain the float bowl on the carb - see the FILES section - an article on Fuel Tank replacement - for good photos. It's a bit difficult to access, but just involves loosening one screw valve on the carb. CATCH THE FUEL DRAINED OUT in a glass container, and let is stand to "settle out" see what's in it. Water or dirt on the bottom?

Adjusting the valves might be the next logical step, but I am trying to relate this problem back to your accident, and don't see a likely relationship there... or, check the compression.

Some folks swear by "Sea Foam" - I don't have experience with it; therefore don't have an opinion on it, but you might give it a try.

Please post back...

Bruce

> So, in the spirit of the drunk who looks for his keys under the street lamp, I'd like some suggestions of what (relatively) easy things I should try. I changed the spark plug because that was cheap and easy, but it didn't seem to do much. I imagine there are some other things I can do that aren't as heroic as trying to get to the fuel filter or messing with the carburetor. (I don't need instructions how to check/fix things; I can find those in the books and in this group.)
>
> Thanks guys.
>

5c.

Re: easy things to try?

Posted by: "rieger_cl" rieger@faircraft.com   rieger_cl

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:28 pm (PDT)





--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "BruceK" <bruce@...> wrote:
>
> OK - first, let me comment on your list below:
>

>
> There's a good chance that you AIR FILTER might be saturated with OIL as a result of your mishap. This is definitely at the top of my list for a Reflex that has taken a spill...
>
> Drain the float bowl on the carb - see the FILES section - an article on Fuel Tank replacement - for good photos. It's a bit difficult to access, but just involves loosening one screw valve on the carb. CATCH THE FUEL DRAINED OUT in a glass container, and let is stand to "settle out" see what's in it. Water or dirt on the bottom?
>
> Adjusting the valves might be the next logical step, but I am trying to relate this problem back to your accident, and don't see a likely relationship there... or, check the compression.
>
> Some folks swear by "Sea Foam" - I don't have experience with it; therefore don't have an opinion on it, but you might give it a try.
>
> Please post back...
>
> Bruce

Thanks for the quick response. I've been using SeaFoam since I read about it here when I first got my Reflex. I also replaced the air filter. BUT, I haven't checked the air filter since the accident. I'll check that.

Draining the float bowl: will that empty the entire tank. Presumably not because who has multi-gallon glass containers to use for that, right :-)

I have a "handy" brother in law coming to visit this summer. I'll save the complicated stuff for when he gets here (assuming I can get it in riding shape before then). My battery charger arrives tomorrow, so that'll at least get out on the road.

5d.

Re: easy things to try?

Posted by: "BruceK" bruce@aplusservices.com   bruceakoehler

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:22 pm (PDT)



<SNIP>
> Draining the float bowl: will that empty the entire tank. Presumably not because who has multi-gallon glass containers to use for that, right :-)

Only if you have the key on so that the fuel pump is running, and are v-e-r-y patient... (it's a very small drain port)

Bruce

6.

Group Home Page Photo  - submit your entry!

Posted by: "BruceK" bruce@aplusservices.com   bruceakoehler

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:11 pm (PDT)



It's past time for an update to our home page photo.

So for the rest of March, submit photos in the "4_Group Homepage folder in the PHOTOS section at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hondareflexowners/photos/album/90968309/pic/list

or

http://tinyurl.com/yft7gqd

After all are submitted (April 1 cutoff), I will narrow it down to 10, then set a poll to have a vote for the favorite.

Keep in mind that as you submit photos, the SUBJECT (Honda Reflex) needs to be the FEATURED ITEM,
and please don't just submit photos of the scooter itself -
there are plenty of those.
PEOPLE and/or SCENERY make it interesting.

Have fun

Bruce

PS - there are some photos already there from old submissions.

7.

REFLEX OWNERS GROUP PATCH - available?

Posted by: "Michael" mbr987@comcast.net   bandito_two

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:23 am (PDT)



Looking around in the photo albums I noticed the group patch.
Are they still available? If so, how could I get one.(or 2 or 3)
Thanks.

Mike B.

(Rochester Hills Michigan Double Dark Side Rider)

8.

Will be selling "Big Red" in the next few weeks $2,000 OBO

Posted by: "tullyleg" tullster@sbcglobal.net   tullyleg

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:19 pm (PDT)



Hey all...it is with great sadness that I will be selling my reflex around mid-april (that's bonus time at my office, and I need a bigger bike). After a couple years of tooling around the freeways on the flex, I'm starting to need a bit more power than the flex has at the top end to get the hell out of the way of these crazy Los Angeles cagers.

Anywho, if you're interested, message me and we can talk. A little info about the bike. 2002 model year, she runs like a top (Travelin Tim did the belt change and the K-Mod at 10K miles), the scooter has 13k miles currently, just had a new clutch put in as the old one was metal to metal, brakes and both tires done in the last 3k miles, regular oil changes.

There is some cosmetic damage to the fairings due to a little lay-down after being drastically cut off by a cage on the road, but I was only going about 35mph, so some scratches and whatnot. The left side of the front fairing (the one that connects to the light in front) is kind of popped out a bit. I think the brackets that hold it on popped a little when it went down, but the scooter still looks quite nice. I'm asking $2,000 OBO, so let me know if you're interested. KBB on it is ~$2,600, so knocking some cash off to replace fairings if you want. Figure I'd give someone on the group first crack before putting it up on craigslist towards the middle of the month.

If you want to see some pictures, let me know.

Thanks,

Matt

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Group Charity

Be the Change

A citizen movement

to change the world

Yahoo! Groups

Cat Owners Group

Join a community

for cat lovers

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

No comments:

Post a Comment