Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Honda Reflex Group Digest Number 4775

Messages In This Digest (9 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: easy things to try?

Posted by: "rieger_cl" rieger@faircraft.com   rieger_cl

Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:39 pm (PDT)




>
> There's a good chance that you AIR FILTER might be saturated with OIL as a result of your mishap. This is definitely at the top of my list for a Reflex that has taken a spill...

Unfortunately the air filter looks pretty clean, certainly no sign that it got exposed to oil.

I'll check the fuel this weekend. There are a few flecks of rust around the inside of the gas tank (above the gas, the top part just under the cap), but it doesn't look anything like the rust pictures in the files section, so my fingers are crossed.

2a.

creative ideas?

Posted by: "rieger_cl" rieger@faircraft.com   rieger_cl

Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:46 pm (PDT)



My muffler cover is scraped to heck and looks terrible.

Replacement price: $50+. Youch.

Has anyone come up with creative (i.e., cheap, attractive and functional) alternatives?

2b.

Re: creative ideas?

Posted by: "dougreflex" dmcphail@rogers.com   dougreflex

Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:17 pm (PDT)





--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "rieger_cl" <rieger@...> wrote:
>
> My muffler cover is scraped to heck and looks terrible.
>
> Replacement price: $50+. Youch.
>
> Has anyone come up with creative (i.e., cheap, attractive and functional) alternatives?
>
Found a Honda Sticky back card at Auto Zone with 4 different Chrome coloured name plates.Put it on 3 months ago to cover up a scratch and it still looks like the factory put "HONDA" on it.

2c.

Re: creative ideas?

Posted by: "brian_cirulnick" techrat@obsolyte.com   brian_cirulnick

Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:19 pm (PDT)





--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "dougreflex" <dmcphail@...> wrote:
>
> >
> Found a Honda Sticky back card at Auto Zone with 4 different Chrome coloured name plates.Put it on 3 months ago to cover up a scratch and it still looks like the factory put "HONDA" on it.
>

You mean Autozone sells something besides cell-phone accessories? Is it me, or have auto-parts stores started selling everything except auto-parts?

3a.

Re: Will be selling "Big Red" in the next few weeks $2,000 OBO

Posted by: "Joe Barnhart" flaboye@gmail.com   jtbgnsv

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:23 am (PDT)



Matt, what symptoms did you have when your clutch shoes got worn/

I'm starting to notice a bit of a jerk now when I take off, kind of like
it's spinning then "grabs" and my clutch shoes didn't look that great to me
last time I had mine pulled down.

I'm on 43k now, but I've heard others say they last forever.

So, any feedback on what you felt, heard, etc to know your shoes were worn
would help me to decide whether that's what I have going on.

Really not much else it could be that I can think of. But I know I don't
like the thumpy jerk I am getting. it's like on a car whose transmission is
low on fuel, you know you sit there revving the engine and all of a sudden
THUMP and your moving, lol.

Thanks!

Joe

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 3:18 PM, tullyleg <tullster@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>
>
> Hey all...it is with great sadness that I will be selling my reflex around
> mid-april (that's bonus time at my office, and I need a bigger bike). After
> a couple years of tooling around the freeways on the flex, I'm starting to
> need a bit more power than the flex has at the top end to get the hell out
> of the way of these crazy Los Angeles cagers.
>
> Anywho, if you're interested, message me and we can talk. A little info
> about the bike. 2002 model year, she runs like a top (Travelin Tim did the
> belt change and the K-Mod at 10K miles), the scooter has 13k miles
> currently, just had a new clutch put in as the old one was metal to metal,
> brakes and both tires done in the last 3k miles, regular oil changes.
>
> There is some cosmetic damage to the fairings due to a little lay-down
> after being drastically cut off by a cage on the road, but I was only going
> about 35mph, so some scratches and whatnot. The left side of the front
> fairing (the one that connects to the light in front) is kind of popped out
> a bit. I think the brackets that hold it on popped a little when it went
> down, but the scooter still looks quite nice. I'm asking $2,000 OBO, so let
> me know if you're interested. KBB on it is ~$2,600, so knocking some cash
> off to replace fairings if you want. Figure I'd give someone on the group
> first crack before putting it up on craigslist towards the middle of the
> month.
>
> If you want to see some pictures, let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3b.

Re: Clutch shoes worn through - Symptoms

Posted by: "tullyleg" tullster@sbcglobal.net   tullyleg

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:08 am (PDT)



<snip> > Matt, what symptoms did you have when your clutch shoes got worn/
>
> I'm starting to notice a bit of a jerk now when I take off, kind of like
> it's spinning then "grabs" and my clutch shoes didn't look that great to me
> last time I had mine pulled down.
>
> I'm on 43k now, but I've heard others say they last forever.
>
> So, any feedback on what you felt, heard, etc to know your shoes were worn
> would help me to decide whether that's what I have going on.
>
> Really not much else it could be that I can think of. But I know I don't
> like the thumpy jerk I am getting. it's like on a car whose transmission is
> low on fuel, you know you sit there revving the engine and all of a sudden
> THUMP and your moving, lol.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Joe

Joe -

My symptoms were very similar with the addition of shuddering to a stop and the engine shutting down a couple of times as well. I assume this had to do with the clutch still being engaged when I stopped and the engine not liking it.

One thing to note, is that I had been deglazing the clutch since it really solved the shuddering problem. I was doing this about every 1K to 1500 miles. This process probably really cut down on the life of the clutch substantially. My mechanic said he'd never seen anything like what happened to me. He said the clutch usually lasts pretty much forever as well.

Hope that helps.

Matt

3c.

Re: Clutch shoes worn through - Symptoms

Posted by: "Joe Barnhart" flaboye@gmail.com   jtbgnsv

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:32 am (PDT)



I think I'll get the tire done first, then when I am ready to do the belt in
about 2,000 more miles, I'll get new variator faces as mine have worn a
groove in them probably from all the highway riding, and I'll run the clutch
up to them (since I don't want to take it apart) with the oem shoes in my
hand and let them put them on while I wait. Can't hurt, to me they look worn
out, shrug. Yea, you don't hear any "thump" that's just how it feels
sometimes, and it had never done it before this weekend, can't be much it
could be, has to have something to do with the clutch.

Wonder if anyone has a picture of what a honda reflex clutch shoes look like
new, or even new vs worn out?

Joe

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 1:04 PM, tullyleg <tullster@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>
>
> <snip> > Matt, what symptoms did you have when your clutch shoes got worn/
> >
> > I'm starting to notice a bit of a jerk now when I take off, kind of like
> > it's spinning then "grabs" and my clutch shoes didn't look that great to
> me
> > last time I had mine pulled down.
> >
> > I'm on 43k now, but I've heard others say they last forever.
> >
> > So, any feedback on what you felt, heard, etc to know your shoes were
> worn
> > would help me to decide whether that's what I have going on.
> >
> > Really not much else it could be that I can think of. But I know I don't
> > like the thumpy jerk I am getting. it's like on a car whose transmission
> is
> > low on fuel, you know you sit there revving the engine and all of a
> sudden
> > THUMP and your moving, lol.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Joe
>
> Joe -
>
> My symptoms were very similar with the addition of shuddering to a stop and
> the engine shutting down a couple of times as well. I assume this had to do
> with the clutch still being engaged when I stopped and the engine not liking
> it.
>
> One thing to note, is that I had been deglazing the clutch since it really
> solved the shuddering problem. I was doing this about every 1K to 1500
> miles. This process probably really cut down on the life of the clutch
> substantially. My mechanic said he'd never seen anything like what happened
> to me. He said the clutch usually lasts pretty much forever as well.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Matt
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3d.

Re: Clutch shoes worn through - Symptoms

Posted by: "tullyleg" tullster@sbcglobal.net   tullyleg

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:43 am (PDT)



I should have taken a quick picture of my worn out ones as my mechanic showed them to me. Mine had worn down to a metal on metal so the clutch wouldn't disengage at all. I had to have it towed to the mechanic.

Matt

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, Joe Barnhart <flaboye@...> wrote:
>
> I think I'll get the tire done first, then when I am ready to do the belt in
> about 2,000 more miles, I'll get new variator faces as mine have worn a
> groove in them probably from all the highway riding, and I'll run the clutch
> up to them (since I don't want to take it apart) with the oem shoes in my
> hand and let them put them on while I wait. Can't hurt, to me they look worn
> out, shrug. Yea, you don't hear any "thump" that's just how it feels
> sometimes, and it had never done it before this weekend, can't be much it
> could be, has to have something to do with the clutch.
>
> Wonder if anyone has a picture of what a honda reflex clutch shoes look like
> new, or even new vs worn out?
>
> Joe
>
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 1:04 PM, tullyleg <tullster@...> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > <snip> > Matt, what symptoms did you have when your clutch shoes got worn/
> > >
> > > I'm starting to notice a bit of a jerk now when I take off, kind of like
> > > it's spinning then "grabs" and my clutch shoes didn't look that great to
> > me
> > > last time I had mine pulled down.
> > >
> > > I'm on 43k now, but I've heard others say they last forever.
> > >
> > > So, any feedback on what you felt, heard, etc to know your shoes were
> > worn
> > > would help me to decide whether that's what I have going on.
> > >
> > > Really not much else it could be that I can think of. But I know I don't
> > > like the thumpy jerk I am getting. it's like on a car whose transmission
> > is
> > > low on fuel, you know you sit there revving the engine and all of a
> > sudden
> > > THUMP and your moving, lol.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Joe
> >
> > Joe -
> >
> > My symptoms were very similar with the addition of shuddering to a stop and
> > the engine shutting down a couple of times as well. I assume this had to do
> > with the clutch still being engaged when I stopped and the engine not liking
> > it.
> >
> > One thing to note, is that I had been deglazing the clutch since it really
> > solved the shuddering problem. I was doing this about every 1K to 1500
> > miles. This process probably really cut down on the life of the clutch
> > substantially. My mechanic said he'd never seen anything like what happened
> > to me. He said the clutch usually lasts pretty much forever as well.
> >
> > Hope that helps.
> >
> > Matt
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

4.

Strapping down on a Versa Haul carrier

Posted by: "jcombs2@sbcglobal.net" jcombs2@sbcglobal.net   jcombs2@sbcglobal.net

Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:07 pm (PDT)



What is the best way to strap the reflex to a carrier?

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Find helpful tips

for Moderators

on the Yahoo!

Groups team blog.

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Mental Health

Learn More

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

No comments:

Post a Comment