Thursday, March 11, 2010

Honda Reflex Group Digest Number 4762

Messages In This Digest (8 Messages)

1.
Re: Ride Like The Wind & wheel base From: wingit3611@aol.com
2a.
Pleasant  surprise...it started From: Richard
2b.
Re: Pleasant  surprise...it started From: s
3a.
Re: Ride Like The Wind From: BruceK
4a.
battery From: happyfunfree
5.
spring tune up From: happyfunfree
6a.
Re: Wheel balance From: Donald
7a.
Re: Loose Rear Wheel Outcome From: Donald

Messages

1.

Re: Ride Like The Wind & wheel base

Posted by: "wingit3611@aol.com" wingit3611@aol.com   wingit3611

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:55 am (PST)



Yep, that's part of the joy of a really light bike and a "short wheelbase"
You mite find it interesting to know that the reflex
has the same wheel base as a Harley .

Rick in KY
. __l__
'---o--(_)--o---'

" " "
I am a red neck: I remove my cap and place my hand over my heart when they
play the National Anthem

In a message dated 3/10/2010 8:40:04 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
freedomfyter@yahoo.com writes:

Yep, that's part of the joy of a really light bike and a short wheelbase.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Pleasant  surprise...it started

Posted by: "Richard" rstidyman@yahoo.com   rstidyman

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:42 am (PST)



Here in the mtns of NC, we have had one of the worst winters on record. Yesterday though, the sun was shining and it got up to 59 degrees. This year, I had the scooter parked on the back porch, which was open on the ned, and the rear end of the scooter sticking out. I had it covered of course but the scoot was still subject to the cold and wind. I expected to have to charge the battery, but it started on the second try. So the first ride of the year took me to the local gas station, where I topped off the tank with fresh gas for when winter returns.

2b.

Re: Pleasant  surprise...it started

Posted by: "s" samzbamz@myway.com   samzbamz

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:14 pm (PST)



Ya, started mine last week it got up 40F here i have had a charger on
it once this year!! it bucked a little but it started .Last time it was
out was new years eve!! I wish I could ride year round!!I'm always the
first one out!!will be riding soon!!
Ride2live,Scott
--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <rstidyman@...>
wrote:
>
> Here in the mtns of NC, we have had one of the worst winters on
record. Yesterday though, the sun was shining and it got up to 59
degrees. This year, I had the scooter parked on the back porch, which
was open on the ned, and the rear end of the scooter sticking out. I
had it covered of course but the scoot was still subject to the cold and
wind. I expected to have to charge the battery, but it started on the
second try. So the first ride of the year took me to the local gas
station, where I topped off the tank with fresh gas for when winter
returns.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3a.

Re: Ride Like The Wind

Posted by: "BruceK" bruce@aplusservices.com   bruceakoehler

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:48 am (PST)



There's already been some good replies (forgive me if I repeat them).

Try a lower rear spring setting - dropping the rear end a bit increases the bike's tendency to go in a straight line (like a chopper).

Try different tire pressure settings - my experience is that higher is better, but others have reported differently. Test and learn what seems best to you...

Stay well back from other vehicles - their trailing air turbulence makes things worse.

Keep your knees tucked in - they act as sails.

Consider the Sport windshield - bigger windshields act like sails.

Relax - a tense grip tends to result in (subconsciously) OVER-CORRECTING for slight temporary changes. Do not try to compensate for brief random sidewinds - the bike's inertia will take care of it.

If your GRIP, your ARMS, or you SHOULDERS are stiff, you are making matters worse and likely to over-correct. Go with the flow...

Keep your speed lower until you learn to relax.

//////////////

You have over 1/4 ton of mass (you + scooter) shooting down the road. Laws of physics etc. tend to keep it going in a constant direction. The "side vector" forces from crosswinds are very minor in comparison.

Hope that helps

Bruce Koehler - the Koehlerizer
Santa Cruz, CA

PS - search the archives for "wind" and you will find a lot more on this topic.

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "kamm145" <kamm145@...> wrote:
>
> As a relatively new Reflex rider, my biggest concern so far is dealing with the wind. I've not fallen over, but the wind sometimes scares me. I've tried different strategies to deal with the wind, but I'm not comfortable with any of them.
>
> Does anyone in the Group have any ideas about how to effectively deal with the wind?
>
> Kamm145
>

4a.

battery

Posted by: "happyfunfree" happyfunfree@yahoo.com   happyfunfree

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:09 pm (PST)



what kind of battery do i get for my 2004 honda reflex. and where< we have the standard chaind here in st louis!

thanks

5.

spring tune up

Posted by: "happyfunfree" happyfunfree@yahoo.com   happyfunfree

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:17 pm (PST)



i did the bruce modification a few years ago to give more pep. What shoud i do for a spring tune up and do i need to anything specifically for that koehler modification?

6a.

Re: Wheel balance

Posted by: "Donald" donnyc426@hotmail.com   crawl_daddy.02reflex

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:20 pm (PST)



Thanks for the information, Ed. I need a rod for my tire changer that will fit through the reflex front tire. Knowing it is 12mm is a plus! BTW, I had previously tried the Dyna Beads and was not satisfied with the balance they provided for the front tire. I tried everything from 1oz to 4oz in the tire and still got vibrations in the 60-65 mph range. They seem to work well in the rear tire though. I agree MADE IN AMERICA means more than ever with so many Americans out of a job.

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <dunkkizing@...> wrote:
>
> Hello Donald
> The post was helpful and tks for posting.
> I call Marc Parnes and after taking some measurements we agreed that
> the model MS12 would work on the reflex and the scarabeo 250.
> The shaft is 12 MM and comes with two universial cones. The reflex has a 12MM axle and cones will not be needed to balance front wheel.
> I was impressed with Marc Parnes operation and he will make any cone
> you need with no extra charge. MADE IN AMERICA
>
>
> --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "Donald" <donnyc426@> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Yep, I have the Marc Parnes balancer. I bought the universal because I also have a Honda Goldwing which requires the universal cone set. I did use it to balance my Reflex front tire and it did a perfect job. You cannot use the rod that comes with the balancer for the Reflex. The rod is too large in diameter to fit through the center of the Relex front wheel. I simply used the front axle of the Flex with the cones provided with the balancer placed on the axle. The cones keep the wheel centered on the axle, and even though the cones are slightly too big in the center, it worked perfectly! FYI, the Cycle Hill Manual Tire Changer has the same problem with the Reflex. The smallest rod they provide is still too large to fit through the front wheel. Again, I just used the front axle as a pivot point, but I must admit it was a bit short to make the manual tire change an easy one. I'll be looking for a suitable "longer" rod for the next change.
> >
> > BTW, all the bike shops around my area "will not" install a tire which was not purchased through them. And the nearest shops charge $35-40 to mount and balance a tire. I can buy tires online much cheaper than the shops so, Ergo, my own tire changing station came to be.....Also, you can buy the Cycle Hill Balancer for about $79 and it's probably just as good as the $105 Marc Parnes one. I'm not sure if you can use it with the front axle as I did with the Marc Parnes one because it has a fixed spacing between the bearings.
> >
> > Hope this helps!
> > Don in Western Virginia.
> >
> > --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <dunkkizing@> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > Hello All
> > >
> > > Has anyone every used a Marc Parnes wheel balancer to balance
> > >
> > > the wheels on a honda reflex. If answer is yes do you know whitch
> > >
> > > model balancer was used?
> > >
> >
>

7a.

Re: Loose Rear Wheel Outcome

Posted by: "Donald" donnyc426@hotmail.com   crawl_daddy.02reflex

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:35 pm (PST)



I agree 100% about the torque wrench. When I first torqued my rear axle nut to 87 ft lbs, I kept wondering if I was overtightening the thing. If I didn't have a torque wrench and just "guesstimated" I'm quite sure I would have under-torqued the nut and possibly been in a serious situation down the road with a very critical nut coming loose...

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "doranosaurus" <doranosaurus@...> wrote:
>
> Good call, thanks for the advice! Maybe I should invest in a torque wrench, heheh.
>
> --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mbr987@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "doranosaurus" <doranosaurus@> wrote:
> > >
> > > For those who requested the outcome of my loose rear wheel, it turned out to be only a loose nut. The mechanic said that the splines inside the wheel were somewhat worn but not enough to merit replacement. That's a relief since a new rear wheel runs $500!
> > >
> > > I guess when I re-installed the wheel after my last tire change, I didn't tighten the nut hard enough! No one to blame but myself. :(
> > >
> > > -Doran-
> > >
> > ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
> > Yup, just like I said:
> >
> > "It could also be the wheel itself and badly worn where it fits onto
> > the splines of the drive shaft.
> >
> > Then of course it could be just a loose axle nut."
> >
> > Glad you didn't need to get a new wheel.(Of course good used parts can often be found on ebay for cheap if needed and if you are O.K.
> > with getting SOME parts there..... I do.)
> >
> > Mike B.
> >
> >
> > (Rochester Hills Michigan Double Dark Side Rider)
> > (2007 Honda NSS250S Reflex Sport "Scarlet")
> > (2006 Honda FSC600A Silverwing "Jester")
> > ( Both with a car tire on the rear )
> > (and scooter rear tire on the front)
> >
> > "Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
> >
>

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Share Photos

Put your favorite

photos and

more online.

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Find support for

Mental illnesses

Y! Groups blog

The place to go

to stay informed

on Groups news!

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

No comments:

Post a Comment