Sunday, March 7, 2010

Honda Reflex Group Digest Number 4758

Messages In This Digest (13 Messages)

1a.
Re: Mod your flex? From: Bill Kenner
1b.
Re: Mod your flex? From: Tim Hansen
2a.
Re: Free Shipping on T-Box From: biker56
2b.
Re: Free Shipping on T-Box From: Tim Hansen
2c.
Re: Free Shipping on T-Box From: Michael
3a.
Re: Time For The Major 18,000 Mile Service/ Kmod---again! From: jgibsonioni
4a.
Howdy from way up north!!Need help!! From: samzbamz
4b.
Re: Howdy from way up north!!Need help!! From: BruceK
5a.
body plastic parts From: genelutter
5b.
Re: body plastic parts From: Michael
6a.
Loose Rear Wheel Outcome From: doranosaurus
6b.
Re: Loose Rear Wheel Outcome From: Michael
7.1.
File - New Membership Request - IGNORE if you are a member.txt From: hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com

Messages

1a.

Re: Mod your flex?

Posted by: "Bill Kenner" brkenner@gmail.com   wrkenner@att.net

Sat Mar 6, 2010 6:04 am (PST)



Some reflex's have more power than others, at least that's my perception
based on the few that I've ridden. If my '04 sport, for example, had no
more torque than my friend's '07 standard, I would most definitely have to
kmod it and wear earplugs. Luckily, and for reasons I can't explain, mine
has a little extra ooommphhhh. Not quite as noticeable as kmod vs no-kmod,
but noticeable none the less. So our experiences are subjective. Some of us
really do need the kmod because our stock reflex's are just dog slow. And it
may be that performing a kmod on one of these slower machines doesn't
produce the awful BWAHHHHHHH from the exhaust. When it's time for her belt
change I will Kmod it and find out.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1b.

Re: Mod your flex?

Posted by: "Tim Hansen" phreadbarnz@gmail.com   phreadbarnz

Sat Mar 6, 2010 7:35 am (PST)



I'd be curious to see dyno results of the two machine you speak of.

TravlinTim (who has ridden with lots of Reflex riders - and they all seemed
to be the same) Hansen
phreadbarnz@ iwon.com

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Bill Kenner" <brkenner@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2010 6:03 AM
To: <hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Honda Reflex Group Re: Mod your flex?

> Some reflex's have more power than others, at least that's my perception
> based on the few that I've ridden. If my '04 sport, for example, had no
> more torque than my friend's '07 standard, I would most definitely have to
> kmod it and wear earplugs. Luckily, and for reasons I can't explain, mine
> has a little extra ooommphhhh. Not quite as noticeable as kmod vs
> no-kmod,
> but noticeable none the less. So our experiences are subjective. Some of
> us
> really do need the kmod because our stock reflex's are just dog slow. And
> it
> may be that performing a kmod on one of these slower machines doesn't
> produce the awful BWAHHHHHHH from the exhaust. When it's time for her
> belt
> change I will Kmod it and find out.
>


2a.

Re: Free Shipping on T-Box

Posted by: "biker56" handygaltoni@yahoo.com   handygaltoni

Sat Mar 6, 2010 11:08 am (PST)



Hello, cI also bought a bestem t box for my flex and have it installed on my bike but could use some help with hooking up the lights as the directions that come with box are very vag. I removed the panel under the seat and can see were the wire connector is connected into the brake lights, but of course you have left and right and the trunk light wires only have 1 red and 1 black. So I need help hooking this up. If someone has done this and can please share how to hook this up I would very much appreciate it. Thank you!

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, Joe Barnhart <flaboye@...> wrote:
>
> Congrats on your new box!
>
> The rear lights are very easy to access behind the little panel once you
> raise the seat. That is where I tapped into the wiring harness for my
> trunks on both silverwing and reflex.
>
> If you need info on the wiring harness, I'm sure Bruce K will be more than
> happy to give you the color codes, he did so for me concerning my front
> wiring harness when I had problems with my headlights, or someone else on
> here who may have it handy I'm sure will be glad to help.
>
> I'm about to begin packing for Daytona and the last weekend of Bike Week!
>
> By the way, I did do the K-Mod this afternoon, and am going to Daytona with
> it. Very cool! Sort of odd in a way for me, (I did 42k without it) but
> there is a significant "feel" of accomplishment. I would recommend it to
> anyone who has their variator torn down. Just try it. If you don't like
> it, reverse it, simple.
>
> Joe
>
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Gary Kaplan <naturefocus@...> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > I just bought a T-box from Bestem off of eBay and they are offering
> > free shipping. Apparently you can order directly from them and get
> > free shipping right now as well. For me shipping would have been $20.
> > So I am getting the box for $69 total which seems like a great deal
> > for a top case. I am looking forward to getting it next week.
> >
> > I think someone already asked this but, any advice on hooking up the
> > break light?
> >
> > Gary
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

2b.

Re: Free Shipping on T-Box

Posted by: "Tim Hansen" phreadbarnz@gmail.com   phreadbarnz

Sat Mar 6, 2010 10:37 pm (PST)



The brakes lights run on the green and green stripes wires if I remember
correctly.
I also believe that this subject came up with in the last few weeks, so you
could also search the message archives.....
TravlinTim (whose brake lights wig-wag) Hansen
phreadbarnz@iwon.com

--------------------------------------------------
From: "biker56" <handygaltoni@yahoo.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2010 11:06 AM
To: <hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Honda Reflex Group Re: Free Shipping on T-Box

> Hello, cI also bought a bestem t box for my flex and have it installed on
> my bike but could use some help with hooking up the lights as the
> directions that come with box are very vag. I removed the panel under the
> seat and can see were the wire connector is connected into the brake
> lights, but of course you have left and right and the trunk light wires
> only have 1 red and 1 black. So I need help hooking this up. If someone
> has done this and can please share how to hook this up I would very much
> appreciate it. Thank you!
>


2c.

Re: Free Shipping on T-Box

Posted by: "Michael" mbr987@comcast.net   bandito_two

Sat Mar 6, 2010 11:45 pm (PST)



--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "biker56" <handygaltoni@...> wrote:
>
> Hello, cI also bought a bestem t box for my flex and have it
> installed on my bike but could use some help with hooking up the
> lights as the directions that come with box are very vag. I removed
> the panel under the seat and can see were the wire connector is
> connected into the brake lights, but of course you have left and
> right and the trunk light wires only have 1 red and 1 black. So I
> need help hooking this up. If someone has done this and can please
> share how to hook this up I would very much appreciate it. Thank
> you!
>
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
O.K.
Using my trusty service manual and looking at the wiring diagram, the
brake lights are the green/yellow stripe wire and the plain green
wire.(which I believe is the ground wire.) If you intend to include
the running light, it runs off the black/brown stripe wire.

So, if your box light connector has only 2 wires, then tap into the
green/yellow wire and the plain green wire.

If it has 3 wires and you want the running lights to work too, then
connect into the green wire(ground), green/yellow wire(brake light) and the black/brown wire(running light.)

That should do it, but have the fire extinguisher handy just in case.
{8-O
Just kidding, it should work fine. But DO make sure the ignition is
turned off, turn signal off and with nobody foolin with the brakes
while you're working on it. It's only 12 Volts, but it CAN burn you
and/or your scoot if you cause a short in the circuit. The ultimate
safety procedure for the mildly voltage averse would be to disconnect
at least one wire from the battery or both if you are of the
completely paranoid persuasion. <:-b

O.K. I guess that's enough sillyness from me for one night.

Mike B.

(Rochester Hills Michigan Double Dark Side Rider)
(2007 Honda NSS250S Reflex Sport "Scarlet")
(2006 Honda FSC600A Silverwing "Jester")
( Both with a car tire on the rear )
(and scooter rear tire on the front)

"Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

3a.

Re: Time For The Major 18,000 Mile Service/ Kmod---again!

Posted by: "jgibsonioni" gibson.joyce@gmail.com   jgibsonioni

Sat Mar 6, 2010 1:19 pm (PST)



About 2 years ago (or so) Tim did the Kmod on my '07 Reflex and I love it! I would not want to go back - ever - period. Just my opinion.

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "markobaldo" <msbryer@...> wrote:
>
> Certainly your choice. I WAS of the same mindset---who am I to mess with Honda's engineering? Still, all the talk of the Kmod on this forum kept yankin' at me. So I decide to "try" it for a weekend. Well, 10K miles later I have NO intention of returning.
> Which makes me wonder???? How many of you out there HAVE tried the Kmod, then switched back?? Reason(s) why you decided not to stay modded??
> Thanks, Mark
>
> --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "willyjumpup" <6at2004@> wrote:
> >
> > Not to put anyone down, but it seems the desire to mess with Honda's well designed mechanicals is a mistake. For example, I'm reading this post about major service and from what I see this Reflex is performing above and beyond my expectations. 75 MPH for short periods is OK but for hours at a time is proof that the drivetrain designed by Honda is perfect as is. With the tiny wheels on a Reflex I'm thinking 18K is probably equivilant to 36K on a motorcycle. These scooters can take a beating so the need to modify a great machine with aftermarket parts seems contradictory. So MY SUGGESTION is to replace stock drivetrain parts with original factory parts.
> >
>

4a.

Howdy from way up north!!Need help!!

Posted by: "samzbamz" samzbamz@myway.com   samzbamz

Sat Mar 6, 2010 1:34 pm (PST)



Hi All,
I have 2 reflex's '01 and '04 weather is starting to get warmer here.
All I have done to these bikes is change oil and air filter and spark
plug!
The '01 has 6k the '04 has 4k... what else do i need to do now to get
them ready for summer!!I have the big givi windshield on my '01 and plan
on using it to commute to work! anywhere to download a service manual??
Thanks for your help,Scott A MathiesDayton MN

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4b.

Re: Howdy from way up north!!Need help!!

Posted by: "BruceK" bruce@aplusservices.com   bruceakoehler

Sat Mar 6, 2010 3:47 pm (PST)



Have look in the FILES section for the routine maintenance list.

There are no LEGAL downloads of the service manual, but often there are used ones on eBay. The manual is the same for all years and models of Reflex.

Watch out for rust in the gas tank - have a look in the FILES section - fuel tank replacement - for great example photos. Hopefully you filled the tanks before storage...

Consider replacing belt and tires DUE TO AGING - 6 years is about the max safe life for the structure of these.

Hope that helps

Bruce Koehler - the Koehlerizer
Santa Cruz, CA

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "samzbamz" <samzbamz@...> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
> I have 2 reflex's '01 and '04 weather is starting to get warmer here.
> All I have done to these bikes is change oil and air filter and spark
> plug!
> The '01 has 6k the '04 has 4k... what else do i need to do now to get
> them ready for summer!!I have the big givi windshield on my '01 and plan
> on using it to commute to work! anywhere to download a service manual??
> Thanks for your help,Scott A MathiesDayton MN
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

5a.

body plastic parts

Posted by: "genelutter" genelutter@yahoo.com   genelutter

Sat Mar 6, 2010 4:19 pm (PST)



Hi everyone,
I am new having just bought a 2003 reflex. I am wondering if the plastic body and faring parts are the same for all years with the exception of the color. Can anyone answer that question?
Thanks, Gene Lutter

5b.

Re: body plastic parts

Posted by: "Michael" mbr987@comcast.net   bandito_two

Sat Mar 6, 2010 10:27 pm (PST)



--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "genelutter" <genelutter@...> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
> I am new having just bought a 2003 reflex. I am wondering if the plastic body and faring parts are the same for all years with the exception of the color. Can anyone answer that question?
> Thanks, Gene Lutter
>
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Yep, they're the same. It's minor changes on the engine where there
is any difference of note. 2004 through 2007 had an improvement with
the alternator giving it more capacity and a minor change in the design
of the crankcase cover on the right side. (taller cooling fins.) Not
sure when anti-lock brakes were made available though. Outside of those
two things I'm pretty sure everything is interchangeable 2001 through
2007 model years of Honda Reflex. (The U.S. North American version
anyway. And that includes the Sport model too.) For instance, on the
2004 Reflex Sport in my garage that belongs to my brother, it has a
standard windscreen(not the shorty screen) and a standard wing on the
back instead of the Sport's passenger back rest. Japan still has it in
production far as I know, though it is known as the Forza, with some
differences developed in body colors and styling plus fuel injection.
So, for us here in the States, you can confidently reconstruct your
Reflex with used parts and not have it end up only vaguely recognizable
like the Cadillac in that Johnny Cash song "One Piece at a Time". I
know, too much info probably, but it's hard to stop once I get going.

Mike B.

(Rochester Hills Michigan Double Dark Side Rider)
(2007 Honda NSS250S Reflex Sport "Scarlet")
(2006 Honda FSC600A Silverwing "Jester")
( Both with a car tire on the rear )
(and scooter rear tire on the front)

"Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

6a.

Loose Rear Wheel Outcome

Posted by: "doranosaurus" doranosaurus@gmail.com   doranosaurus

Sat Mar 6, 2010 6:14 pm (PST)



For those who requested the outcome of my loose rear wheel, it turned out to be only a loose nut. The mechanic said that the splines inside the wheel were somewhat worn but not enough to merit replacement. That's a relief since a new rear wheel runs $500!

I guess when I re-installed the wheel after my last tire change, I didn't tighten the nut hard enough! No one to blame but myself. :(

-Doran-

6b.

Re: Loose Rear Wheel Outcome

Posted by: "Michael" mbr987@comcast.net   bandito_two

Sat Mar 6, 2010 10:48 pm (PST)



--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "doranosaurus" <doranosaurus@...> wrote:
>
> For those who requested the outcome of my loose rear wheel, it turned out to be only a loose nut. The mechanic said that the splines inside the wheel were somewhat worn but not enough to merit replacement. That's a relief since a new rear wheel runs $500!
>
> I guess when I re-installed the wheel after my last tire change, I didn't tighten the nut hard enough! No one to blame but myself. :(
>
> -Doran-
>
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Yup, just like I said:

"It could also be the wheel itself and badly worn where it fits onto
the splines of the drive shaft.

Then of course it could be just a loose axle nut."

Glad you didn't need to get a new wheel.(Of course good used parts can often be found on ebay for cheap if needed and if you are O.K.
with getting SOME parts there..... I do.)

Mike B.

(Rochester Hills Michigan Double Dark Side Rider)
(2007 Honda NSS250S Reflex Sport "Scarlet")
(2006 Honda FSC600A Silverwing "Jester")
( Both with a car tire on the rear )
(and scooter rear tire on the front)

"Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

7.1.

File - New Membership Request - IGNORE if you are a member.txt

Posted by: "hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com" hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com

Sun Mar 7, 2010 3:50 am (PST)




Don't just "reply" to this - READ IT - then provide the requested info:

If you request membership using a PAID VALIDATABLE e-mail address,
you can ignore this message.

If you requested membership using a free e-mail address
(like yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc), you must EITHER supply:
an e-mail address for a PAID e-mail service,
OR
a phone # where you can be contacted.

An e-mail is SENT TO THE FREE E-MAIL ADDRESS YOU PROVIDED REQUESTING THIS INFO -
If you don't check that free e-mail address - or don't reply to the message,
your membership will not be activated!

You will have to EITHER supply an e-mail address for a PAID e-mail service,
OR supply a phone # where you can be contacted.

This is to keep spammers, scammers, and other problems out of this group.

Your free e-mail address will be used once your membership is activated,
and your paid e-mail address will not be revealed unless you choose to do so.

Bruce Koehler
Owner, hondareflexowners group

PS - if you received this as an e-mail at the e-mail address you provided,
reply to this message with the contact info requested above.
If you don't reply within 14 days, Yahoo deletes your membership request.

PPS - this message is automatically posted to the group twice a month,
because some people (like me) create a free e-mail account just to join a group,
and then NEVER check that e-mail.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Find helpful tips

for Moderators

on the Yahoo!

Groups team blog.

Group Charity

Loans that

change lives

Kiva.org

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

No comments:

Post a Comment