Friday, February 19, 2010

Honda Reflex Group Digest Number 4742

Messages In This Digest (5 Messages)

1a.
Bestem T-Box on Sport From: Bill Kenner
1b.
Re: Bestem T-Box on Sport From: Joe Barnhart
1c.
Re: Bestem T-Box on Sport From: Toni Folske
2a.
Re: Loose Rear Wheel From: tailmaster
2b.
Re: Loose Rear Wheel From: doranosaurus

Messages

1a.

Bestem T-Box on Sport

Posted by: "Bill Kenner" brkenner@gmail.com   wrkenner@att.net

Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:23 am (PST)



I mounted a Bestem T-Box on my '04 Reflex Sport a year ago and posted some photos in the photos section to help those with a sport model see the method I used. The box rattles some but I'm not aware of it while in the drivers seat, only when it's running and on the center stand. The Givi product is probably better built but I'm satisfied with this one. It stays dry, the lock works well, it's a good size, and has proven to be durable. I put 8,000 miles on this scooter in '09. I had an LED burn out recently, called the factory and they sent me a complete new LED panel, no charge.

Hope this helps those trying to decide which box to use and how to mount it on the sport.

Bill K.
Memphis
04 Sport

1b.

Re: Bestem T-Box on Sport

Posted by: "Joe Barnhart" flaboye@gmail.com   jtbgnsv

Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:35 am (PST)



No doubt GIVI is the top notch but you'll pay for it.

I have a Bestem on my silverwing and it's fine. As you say it stays dry. I
feel it's made well, it's removable, and suitcase carryable like the GIVI,
etc.

I haven't hooked up the LED yet, it has good reflectivity so I may not
bother.

I got the 929 black model for the silverwing.
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Bill Kenner <brkenner@gmail.com> wrote:

>
>
> I mounted a Bestem T-Box on my '04 Reflex Sport a year ago and posted some
> photos in the photos section to help those with a sport model see the method
> I used. The box rattles some but I'm not aware of it while in the drivers
> seat, only when it's running and on the center stand. The Givi product is
> probably better built but I'm satisfied with this one. It stays dry, the
> lock works well, it's a good size, and has proven to be durable. I put 8,000
> miles on this scooter in '09. I had an LED burn out recently, called the
> factory and they sent me a complete new LED panel, no charge.
>
> Hope this helps those trying to decide which box to use and how to mount it
> on the sport.
>
> Bill K.
> Memphis
> 04 Sport
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1c.

Re: Bestem T-Box on Sport

Posted by: "Toni Folske" handygaltoni@yahoo.com   handygaltoni

Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:11 pm (PST)



Hello, can you remeber how you hooked up the brake light to your box. I have a bestem and a reflex but need help on how to hook up the t box brake light.

 Toni Folske
 

--- On Thu, 2/18/10, Bill Kenner <brkenner@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Bill Kenner <brkenner@gmail.com>
Subject: Honda Reflex Group Bestem T-Box on Sport
To: hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 8:21 AM

 

I mounted a Bestem T-Box on my '04 Reflex Sport a year ago and posted some photos in the photos section to help those with a sport model see the method I used. The box rattles some but I'm not aware of it while in the drivers seat, only when it's running and on the center stand. The Givi product is probably better built but I'm satisfied with this one. It stays dry, the lock works well, it's a good size, and has proven to be durable. I put 8,000 miles on this scooter in '09. I had an LED burn out recently, called the factory and they sent me a complete new LED panel, no charge.

Hope this helps those trying to decide which box to use and how to mount it on the sport.

Bill K.

Memphis

04 Sport

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: Loose Rear Wheel

Posted by: "tailmaster" freedomfyter@yahoo.com   tailmaster

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:25 pm (PST)





--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "doranosaurus" <doranosaurus@...> wrote:
>
> I've noticed my rear wheel is loose. I don't know if it's always been like that but this is the first I've noticed it. On the center stand when I jiggle it, there's about 1/4 inch of play in all directions. If it were a bicycle this would be a sign of very worn hub bearings or a very poorly adjusted hub. Is that the case on a Reflex or is that just the normal amount of play that a rear wheel has?
>
> Is it a problem or is it normal?
>
> Thanks!
> -Doran-
> Silver 2001 Reflex daily driver.
>
DO NOT RIDE UNTIL IT IS REPAIRED! THIS one CAN BE DEADLY! Maybe you had a recent tire change. Misalignment is possible. It would take catastrophic bearing failure to cause that much movement. If you're still riding your original 2001 Hoop on a daily basis, it's past time to find a mechanic anyway. :)

2b.

Re: Loose Rear Wheel

Posted by: "doranosaurus" doranosaurus@gmail.com   doranosaurus

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:27 pm (PST)



Thank you Mike B. and other members for the detailed response! I will investigate and keep you posted.

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mbr987@...> wrote:
>
> --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "doranosaurus" <doranosaurus@> wrote:
> >
> > I've noticed my rear wheel is loose. I don't know if it's always been like that but this is the first I've noticed it. On the center stand when I jiggle it, there's about 1/4 inch of play in all directions. If it were a bicycle this would be a sign of very worn hub bearings or a very poorly adjusted hub. Is that the case on a Reflex or is that just the normal amount of play that a rear wheel has?
> >
> > Is it a problem or is it normal?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > -Doran-
> > Silver 2001 Reflex daily driver.
> >
> ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
>
> Not normal and most likely a problem. Going from probably worst
> case to less problematic as I see it, consider the following:
>
> It could be bad bearings in the final drive gears at the drive shaft
> and/or the axle bearing at the swingarm.
>
> It could also be the wheel itself and badly worn where it fits onto
> the splines of the drive shaft.
>
> Then of course it could be just a loose axle nut.
>
> The manual points out that rear wheel wobble can be caused by a bent
> rim or low tire pressure, but from your description, this does not
> seem to be the cause.
>
> Just because it would be the simplest thing to do first, tighten the
> rear axle nut to spec.(use a torque wrench set to proper torque
> setting)118 Newton/meters or the equivalent of 87 foot pounds. Then
> if it doesn't wiggle, then you are probably good to go. If it still
> has that much play in the wheel, then you'll need to remove if for
> further diagnosing.
> After removing the swingarm, see if the wheel can still wobble on the
> driveshaft. There is a spacer pipe (inner collar) that covers part of
> the axle. Check to make sure its turned around the correct way.
> (narrow section toward swingarm) Remove that spacer pipe and then
> remove the wheel. You should be able to see if there is any dark
> grittiness on the splines of the drive shaft. If there is, then you
> might also be able to see visible signs of wear inside the wheel
> where the axle goes through. If that is chewed up then you're looking
> at getting a new wheel.
>
> After removing the wheel, try moving the drive shaft. If the drive
> shaft moves, that would probably mean a bad bearing at the final
> drive.
>
> In any event, I wouldn't ride it any more if I were you until the
> problem was identified and repaired. There could be more than what
> I've pointed out, but I think these are the likely suspects.
>
> Mike B.
>
>
> (Rochester Hills Michigan Double Dark Side Rider)
> (2007 Honda NSS250S Reflex Sport "Scarlet")
> (2006 Honda FSC600A Silverwing "Jester")
> ( Both with a car tire on the rear )
> (and scooter rear tire on the front)
>
> "Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
>

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Group Charity

California Pet

Rescue: Furry

Friends Rescue

Yahoo! Groups

Going Green

Find green

groups and tips

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

No comments:

Post a Comment