Friday, January 1, 2010

Honda Reflex Group Digest Number 4700

Messages In This Digest (13 Messages)

1.
Thank you for writing (Re: Honda Reflex Group Digest Number 4699) From: > Hunter
2a.
double darksider From: tonymarchman@att.net
2b.
Re: double darksider From: Michael
2c.
Re: double darksider From: tailmaster
2d.
Re: double darksider From: tailmaster
3.
Re: Rear Trunk Shopping From: Duane Ridenhour
4a.
Re: Rear Trunk Shopping. From: MichaelB
4b.
Re: Rear Trunk Shopping. From: Joe Barnhart
4c.
Re: Rear Trunk Shopping. From: brian_cirulnick
5.
Hidden key on reflex From: jfolander
6.
fork seals hard to get out From: Loii
7.1.
File - REMINDER - Check your oil each ride day From: hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com
8.1.
File - Monthly Information Update Reminder.txt From: hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com

Messages

1.

Thank you for writing (Re: Honda Reflex Group Digest Number 4699)

Posted by: "> Hunter " Hunter@HouseHunterAtlanta.com   househunteratlanta

Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:55 am (PST)



Hi,
Real estate often takes me out of the office so I check email only twice daily. IF you need my attention immediately, you can reach me here:

http://awayfind.com/hunter

Be sure to store this link with my contact information in case of an emergency.
Hunter

--

Opt out of future auto-replies: http://orchant.awayfind.com/oo?h=be2b02d5&e=187f64bb

2a.

double darksider

Posted by: "tonymarchman@att.net" tonymarchman@att.net   tonymarchman@att.net

Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:01 am (PST)



Hi MikeB, I am now a double darksider on my reflex, It does rub the fender some, did this happen to you? If so, what was your soultion? I was thinking of making a bracket to raise the fender a bit.
Tony in Tenn

2b.

Re: double darksider

Posted by: "Michael" mbr987@comcast.net   bandito_two

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:35 am (PST)





--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "tonymarchman@..." <tonymarchman@...> wrote:
>
> Hi MikeB, I am now a double darksider on my reflex, It does rub the fender some, did this happen to you? If so, what was your soultion? I was thinking of making a bracket to raise the fender a bit.
> Tony in Tenn
>
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Yes it rubs.....well, actually it can't be mounted without making a
bracket fix of some sort AND some reshaping of the fender close to
the forks. That is something I am partially through and will get done
before spring and before I hand the 2004 Reflex over to my brother. I
need to do this also for my 2007 Reflex and 2006 S-wing. BTW, what tire
are you using up front and is it set to roll the same way as if it were
on the rear, or is it turned around in reverse? For the record, I have
mine mounted on the rim so that it rolls as it does on the rear. My
thinking on that is that the tire is for a heavier bike and should be
well able to withstand the reverse force on the tread from braking.
But the main reason for me is that I think it is more important that
the tread orientation be so for proper water evacuation.

Mike B.

(Rochester Hills Michigan Double Dark Side Rider)
(2007 Honda Reflex Sport "Scarlet")
(Hercules G2000T 155/80R12 car tire on the back.)
(Pirelli Diablo 150/70-13 scooter rear tire on the front.)

(2006 Honda FSC600A Silverwing) as yet unnamed
(Michelin Destiny 175/70/R13 car tire on the back.)
(Michelin Gold Standard 150/70-14) scooter rear tire on the front.)

**** While knowledge has power, It is what you do with what you
know that is important.
It gives the knowledge validity and demonstrates its worth.
Use it wisely. **** (I wish I knew more)

2c.

Re: double darksider

Posted by: "tailmaster" freedomfyter@yahoo.com   tailmaster

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:54 pm (PST)



Hi, Tony,

Did you also go with the Pirelli Diablo 150/70-13? Just when I thought I was getting a handle on these clearance measurements, I cannot make these numbers work on paper without pulling the fender off completely. I get 5.91" tread width for a 150. That's 1.6" over stock! Even using a measuring stick, I can only find about 1.1" available under the fender. Half an inch is more than a big rub!

BMW used a 140/70-13 in Europe a few years ago. It's a virtual height match for the 110/90. More tire and no clearance or speedo problems. I'm going to try to find one in an all-weather compound.

I'll go measure again.

Where are the pictures?

Now, you too are moving faster than your speedo reads.

I demand that you reveal your dark secrets! :)

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "tonymarchman@..." <tonymarchman@...> wrote:
>
> Hi MikeB, I am now a double darksider on my reflex, It does rub the fender some, did this happen to you? If so, what was your soultion? I was thinking of making a bracket to raise the fender a bit.
> Tony in Tenn
>

2d.

Re: double darksider

Posted by: "tailmaster" freedomfyter@yahoo.com   tailmaster

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:13 pm (PST)



How's this for a coincidence?

According to the '09 Forza specs, their rear is a 140/70-13.

Can you tell that I really DON'T want to mod the fender? :)

Diggin' in the darkness.

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "tonymarchman@..." <tonymarchman@...> wrote:
>
> Hi MikeB, I am now a double darksider on my reflex, It does rub the fender some, did this happen to you? If so, what was your soultion? I was thinking of making a bracket to raise the fender a bit.
> Tony in Tenn
>

3.

Re: Rear Trunk Shopping

Posted by: "Duane Ridenhour" duanevickie@mindspring.com   duanevickie

Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:42 am (PST)



We have just purchased our third Bestem Top Box. $65 total including shipping. Delivery in two days. Large enough for a helmet plus. Sharp looking. Givi is an excellent product, but we can't find any difference in these two boxes. They come with a heavy duty mounting plate and hardware. Before you decide on a box, please visit their website at http://www.bestemusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=142&products_id=682. I think you will be impressed.

Vickie Meader

Duane Ridenhour
duanevickie@mindspring.com
EarthLink Revolves Around You.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4a.

Re: Rear Trunk Shopping.

Posted by: "MichaelB" mikeveg@yahoo.com   mikeveg

Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:55 am (PST)



Brian,

I'll recommend the following box, which sells for $88.00 plus freight wholeheartedly. I had to use a bit of creativity and shimming (about 6 minutes and one Miller Lite's worth) to secure the mount to the luggage wing (I do not have a Sport Reflex, but, if I recall, there was plenty of hardware in the kit to mount the baseplate to a tubular rail/rack) and I bought a bit of weatherstripping to stop a tiny lid rattle, but it holds my XL helmet and any riding jacket I own, or a load of groceries that you wouuldn't believe. the link is

http://cgi.ebay.com/LARGE-MATTE-BLACK-MOTORCYCLE-TRUNK-LUGGAGE-TOP-CASE_W0QQitemZ360220463099QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item53ded00ffb

and the gold Honda Reflex pictured is my own ride. I was so happy with the trunk that I sent the seller some pics showing what it looks like on a Reflex (nope, I'm not the seller)!

Pictures of my trunk (the Reflex's trunk...) can be found in the group's photo album at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hondareflexowners/photos/album/1313779759/pic/list

including the pic of the grocery haul I made the second day I had it on the bike.

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "brian_cirulnick" <techrat@...> wrote:
>
> Ok... I have ordered Nelson's Air Deflectors, I've ordered a Givi 211 Windsheild, but I can't seem to find a decent Top-Box.

4b.

Re: Rear Trunk Shopping.

Posted by: "Joe Barnhart" flaboye@gmail.com   jtbgnsv

Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:19 am (PST)



That one looks good. I'm sold on the Bestem's however. They are removable
like the Givi's are, (you can carry it like a suitcase) and they come with
light kits. All the things Givi charges extra for. They're built very
well. I compared an E52 to my Bestem and don't see any reason to spend the
$$ on a givi trunk.

Also, the price is 69.95 and that includes shipping, they also have a
backrest for the passenger.

I see the shipping on that 88.00 trunk is 30.00 !!!!

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 9:51 AM, MichaelB <mikeveg@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
> Brian,
>
> I'll recommend the following box, which sells for $88.00 plus freight
> wholeheartedly. I had to use a bit of creativity and shimming (about 6
> minutes and one Miller Lite's worth) to secure the mount to the luggage wing
> (I do not have a Sport Reflex, but, if I recall, there was plenty of
> hardware in the kit to mount the baseplate to a tubular rail/rack) and I
> bought a bit of weatherstripping to stop a tiny lid rattle, but it holds my
> XL helmet and any riding jacket I own, or a load of groceries that you
> wouuldn't believe. the link is
>
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/LARGE-MATTE-BLACK-MOTORCYCLE-TRUNK-LUGGAGE-TOP-CASE_W0QQitemZ360220463099QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item53ded00ffb
>
> and the gold Honda Reflex pictured is my own ride. I was so happy with the
> trunk that I sent the seller some pics showing what it looks like on a
> Reflex (nope, I'm not the seller)!
>
> Pictures of my trunk (the Reflex's trunk...) can be found in the group's
> photo album at
>
>
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hondareflexowners/photos/album/1313779759/pic/list
>
> including the pic of the grocery haul I made the second day I had it on the
> bike.
>
> --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com<hondareflexowners%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "brian_cirulnick" <techrat@...> wrote:
> >
> > Ok... I have ordered Nelson's Air Deflectors, I've ordered a Givi 211
> Windsheild, but I can't seem to find a decent Top-Box.
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4c.

Re: Rear Trunk Shopping.

Posted by: "brian_cirulnick" techrat@obsolyte.com   brian_cirulnick

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:11 am (PST)





--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, Joe Barnhart <flaboye@...> wrote:
> I see the shipping on that 88.00 trunk is 30.00 !!!!
>
And while it holds a lot, I think it's a little wide and ruins some of the "look" I like about the Reflex, but maybe I'm just too picky. However, I love those Empi Spider Mirrors, I'll have to look into that mod as well, because those really give the reflex a good sporty appearance.

At $70 shipped the Bestem T-Box 2012 may be the winner. As long as it doesn't pop open when you hit a bump we should be OK. I was looking on JC Whitney's site, and while their boxes looked good, there were complaints that the latch mechanism was flawed.

While I'm snowed in, I want to get as much done in the garage as possible to prep the bike for the first warm day I can get, so, I'm buying stuff now like it's going out of style, I'll have it all installed before Feb's done, and by March I should be riding to work again on a regular basis.

5.

Hidden key on reflex

Posted by: "jfolander" jfolander@yahoo.com   jfolander

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:05 am (PST)



A spare key will fit inside a folding footpeg. When neatly taped in with silver duct tape It's almost invisible. Tip from dad.

6.

fork seals hard to get out

Posted by: "Loii" lucas.mills@cox.net   lmioo

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:50 pm (PST)



just a heads up ,i found something at autozone in the tool loan section that might work to pull out those very tight seated fork seals its called a pilot bearing puller that spreads out and attaches to a slide hammer i haven't measured so i dont know if it will work

7.1.

File - REMINDER - Check your oil each ride day

Posted by: "hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com" hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com

Fri Jan 1, 2010 3:53 am (PST)




MONTHLY WELL-INTENTIONED REMINDER

Fuel System:

Keep the fuel tank full - especially during prolonged storage - to avoid rust.

Exhaust System:

Check all of the fasteners along the exhaust system and PAIR Emission system at each preventive maintenance check to help avoid blown exhaust gaskets and damaged PAIR items. Torque on headpipe studs is 7ft/lb, 9 Nm.

Fork Tubes:

Clean them to prolong fork tube seal life.

OIL LEVEL:

At least two members have experienced a catastrophic engine failure
due to oil loss!!!!

NEITHER observed tailpipe smoke or seepage or a puddle of oil.

At least one - a conservative rider - checked his oil (among other things)
WEEKLY - so his oil loss happened in a week's time of LOCAL ridng!

Hopefully, they will find out how the oil escaped when they
disassemble the engine so that we can learn from that
and avoid such a failure.

Meanwhile, check the oil each day you ride!!!

If one simply unscrews the dipstick and looks at the level on it, that dipstick was inserted about 1/2 inch FURTHER than the way it is to be done!!!!! - because it was SCREWED IN!!!!

It will give an artificially HIGH oil level indication.

It is imperative to:

1. Park the scooter on the centerstand - on flat ground.
NEVER DO THIS CHECK ON THE SIDESTAND!!!

2. Remove the dipstick, then wipe it with a clean lintfee wipe.

3. Reinsert the dipstick WITHOUT SCREWING IT IN
in order to get a correct check on the oil level.

4. Withdraw the dipstick without having screwed it in.

5. Check that the oil level is within the level marks on the dipstick.

Be careful to not overfill.

THe following addition from Rick in Ny:

P.S. The crosshatch squares are clear of oil when you wipe the dip stick
clean. When you insert it and remove it these little squares will have oil in
them to show how high you oil level is.

P.P.S. Too much oil has caused some people to loose power also. (Such as oil
dripping out when you take the dip stick out) Rick in KY

That's because the excess oil is sucked up into the the air filter
via the crankcase breather - Bruce

8.1.

File - Monthly Information Update Reminder.txt

Posted by: "hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com" hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com

Fri Jan 1, 2010 3:53 am (PST)




Please visit the Polls section monthly to see if you can add some information regarding things like:
> Tire life
> Belt life
> Brake pad life
etc., based on YOUR recent experiences.
You can also take a look at other member's experiences with these and other items.

Also take a look at the Database section and add your info -
or view that posted by others on topics like:
> Member's locations and other info
> K-mod experience
> equipment
> Dealer experince
and other topics that may be added.

By providing your information, you are helping everyone
to have a better scootering experience.

THanks
Bruce

PS - even if you have "voted" previously in a Poll, you can update your previous entry anytime.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Dog Fanatics

on Yahoo! Groups

Find people who are

crazy about dogs.

Yahoo! Groups

Going Green

Explore green tips

and resources

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

No comments:

Post a Comment