Monday, May 10, 2010

Honda Reflex Group Digest Number 4823

Messages In This Digest (10 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Reflex not starting up, help...

Posted by: "konradodoc" konrado@fuse.net   konradodoc

Sun May 9, 2010 10:21 am (PDT)



I have a 2005 Reflex with the same problem. I took it to my mechanic who cleaned the carb. It ran fine for a while but it developed a problem with antifreeze being sucked into the air cleaner. The scooter would stall and white smoke would come out of the exhaust. This was intermittent. Scooter is in shop again.
Will know when I get my Reflex back next week if it is fixed. I wonder if this is a problem with this vintage scooter. 2004-2005?
Bruce K. said my mechanic hooked up my antifreeze line wrong. Will see when I get my Reflex back.

Konrad O

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "Carlos Moran" <losmoran@...> wrote:
>
> Maybe so... But then I'll post my success after riding J
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

1b.

Re: Reflex not starting up, help...

Posted by: "Carlos Moran" losmoran@bellsouth.net   losmoran@bellsouth.net

Sun May 9, 2010 5:43 pm (PDT)



Bruce,

Can you be a little more specific on number 2?

There is a vent that has dual holes with a black plastic cover inside the
vent and there is the spark plug access vent with the little pressure clip?
Where do I spray the starting fluid?

It's hard to see or figure out how to remove some of the panels to get a
better look at things.

Thanks

From: hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of BruceK
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 9:43 PM
To: hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Honda Reflex Group Re: Reflex not starting up, help...

Each of these is an INDIVIDUAL action - try one before you move on to the
next:

1. JUMP start it - hook jumper cables to a NON-RUNNING car. The Reflex
ignition needs lots of volts - a low battery will not start it (and a
battery tender is only made to MAINTAIN the charge on an already OK
battery).

2. Spray some Starting Fluid in the upper "vent" above the footboard on the
kickstand-side of the scooter - try again.

3. Remove the little cover just in front of that vent, and remove and
inspect the sparkplug. While it is OUT, crank the engine and see if you
(hopefully) smell gas in the expelled air. Inspect the plug - clean or
change - as appropriate.

Post back if you need more.
Post back anyway - with your results - that is the group "compensation" for
the free advice - so that all will benefit.

Welcome to the group!

Bruce Koehler

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:hondareflexowners%40yahoogroups.com> , "losmoran@..." <losmoran@...>
wrote:
>
> Hi All,
> I am a new member here, My wife owns a 2004 Reflex that has been sitting
for about 9-10 months and it will not start. I tried starting it last week
and trhe battery was very week... I ordered a battery tender and the battery
charged fine but after three or four attempts at starting it began to get
week... I'm hoping for some guidance in stating it. The engine and fuel
lines are difficult to get to and before I ventured into taking it apart to
maybe try some starting fluid I thought I'd check here... Any suggestions
other than the mechanic?
>
> Thank you
> Los.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: {Disarmed} RE: Honda Reflex Group Another reminder that should b

Posted by: "liviu_m2002" liviu_m2002@yahoo.com   liviu_m2002

Sun May 9, 2010 10:57 am (PDT)




Thank you all for support with this topic and don't forget to check your pressure.

Tommorow I'll try to put another spark plug and see what happends. Worst case, I'll change the wire.

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, George Giftos <gcgiftos@...> wrote:
>
> Does the noise occur at a constant interval and become more rapid as the RPMs increase?
>
> George
>
> On May 8, 2010, at 3:53 PM, Joe Pal wrote:
>
> > If you can hear the spark you probably need to replace the spark plug wire.
> >
> > From: hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com
> > [mailto:hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of liviu_m2002
> > Sent: Saturday, May 08, 2010 11:36 AM
> > To: hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com
> > Subject: Honda Reflex Group Another reminder that should be considered
> >
> >
> > Today I ajusted the valves for the first time and it was very hard to find
> > that index mark on the crankcase cover.... it took me a while. After doing
> > the adjustments, like the manual said, I decided to go for a ride to check
> > if everything is ok.
> > I had a passenger and in the curves I was feeling a very strange sensation,
> > that the back wanted to go sideways. Then I thought I had a flat tire or
> > something. Pulled over and checked the back tire and I could push it with my
> > fingers. There were no foreign objects in the tire, so that was no flat. I
> > had to go to a gas station to fill it up with air. There it showed that it
> > had 10 PSI which is not good. It should have about 30 PSI
> > This hasn't happened to me before (losing tire pressure) but from now on
> > I'll check the tire pressure at least 2-3 times a month.
> >
> > I want to ask something, do spark plugs make any noise? With the engine on,
> > I removed the maintainence lid to inspect ( visualy ) the adjusting plates
> > and I could hear a weird sound just like an electric arc, like those you
> > hear from the self defense teasers. Only it was produced less often, just
> > obout when the spark from the spark plug occurs. So could this be the spark
> > plug?
> >
> > So, as a reminder, check your tire pressure more often.
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > This message has been scanned for viruses and
> > dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
> > believed to be clean.
>
>
> --
> This message has been scanned for viruses and
> dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
> believed to be clean.
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

3a.

Rear Wheel Removal

Posted by: "Norm N" rb_lifer@yahoo.com   rb_lifer

Sun May 9, 2010 1:18 pm (PDT)



Bruce, In this file in "files" how do you keep the rear tire from turning when removing the rear axle lug nut? Is there a secret to doing this?
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QBTnS0BKnqMT4HBih8RKPcdaO_tuqxwBtWZIvnV7sZKsPYDThiWF5kEtfIeszswKNxo242LA5c49co3GH5fMzxPzoweAYA/Wheel%20Removal%20Rear.txt

3b.

Re: Rear Wheel Removal

Posted by: "floodgateus" floodgateus@yahoo.com   floodgateus

Sun May 9, 2010 4:02 pm (PDT)




Stick a screw driver through a hole in the brake disc ..I did this ten minutes ago and it worked fine....

Floodgate ...who uses an authorized service manual from Helm

In this file in "files" how do you keep the rear tire from turning when removing the rear axle lug nut? Is there a secret to doing this?
> http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QBTnS0BKnqMT4HBih8RKPcdaO_tuqxwBtWZIvnV7sZKsPYDThiWF5kEtfIeszswKNxo242LA5c49co3GH5fMzxPzoweAYA/Wheel%20Removal%20Rear.txt
>

3c.

Re: Rear Wheel Removal

Posted by: "Tim Hansen" phreadbarnz@gmail.com   phreadbarnz

Sun May 9, 2010 4:05 pm (PDT)



I'm not Bruce, but I can tell you that the same way you loosen a car tire
works for our scooters. After removing the muffler, apply the parking brake
and break loose the nut. Once it's broken loose, you can usually release
the parking brake.

To re-tighten/torque the nut, I usually apply the parking brake and have one
of my sons sit on the back seat to keep the wheel from turning.

HTH
TravlinTim (who has removed plenty of rear wheels) Hansen
phreadbarnz@gmai.com

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Norm N" <rb_lifer@yahoo.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2010 1:14 PM
To: <hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Honda Reflex Group Rear Wheel Removal

> Bruce, In this file in "files" how do you keep the rear tire from turning
> when removing the rear axle lug nut? Is there a secret to doing this?
> http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QBTnS0BKnqMT4HBih8RKPcdaO_tuqxwBtWZIvnV7sZKsPYDThiWF5kEtfIeszswKNxo242LA5c49co3GH5fMzxPzoweAYA/Wheel%20Removal%20Rear.txt
>


4a.

Re: Another reminder that should be considered

Posted by: "floodgateus" floodgateus@yahoo.com   floodgateus

Sun May 9, 2010 4:03 pm (PDT)




I had the same thing happen..felt like a slideout when turning corners hard...checked rear tire pressure and it was 11 psi!
I filled it up to 29..this was a few months ago.now I see the tire cord showing in a stripe down the middle of the Hoop..time to get new rubber.
Floodgate

--- push it with my fingers. There were no foreign objects in the tire, so that was no flat. I had to go to a gas station to fill it up with air. There it showed that it had 10 PSI which is not good. It should have about 30 PSI
> This hasn't happened to me before (losing tire pressure) but from now on I'll check the tire pressure at least 2-3 times a month.
>
> I want to ask something, do spark plugs make any noise? With the engine on, I removed the maintainence lid to inspect ( visualy ) the adjusting plates and I could hear a weird sound just like an electric arc, like those you hear from the self defense teasers. Only it was produced less often, just obout when the spark from the spark plug occurs. So could this be the spark plug?
>
> So, as a reminder, check your tire pressure more often.
>

4b.

Re: Another reminder that should be considered

Posted by: "Ira K" bigirakay@yahoo.com   bigirakay

Mon May 10, 2010 4:07 am (PDT)



       HOw many miles was on that rear tire?? Thanks

--- On Sun, 5/9/10, floodgateus <floodgateus@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: floodgateus <floodgateus@yahoo.com>
Subject: Honda Reflex Group Re: Another reminder that should be considered
To: hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, May 9, 2010, 6:57 PM

 

I had the same thing happen..felt like a slideout when turning corners hard...checked rear tire pressure and it was 11 psi!

I filled it up to 29..this was a few months ago.now I see the tire cord showing in a stripe down the middle of the Hoop..time to get new rubber.

Floodgate

--- push it with my fingers. There were no foreign objects in the tire, so that was no flat. I had to go to a gas station to fill it up with air. There it showed that it had 10 PSI which is not good. It should have about 30 PSI

> This hasn't happened to me before (losing tire pressure) but from now on I'll check the tire pressure at least 2-3 times a month.

>

> I want to ask something, do spark plugs make any noise? With the engine on, I removed the maintainence lid to inspect ( visualy ) the adjusting plates and I could hear a weird sound just like an electric arc, like those you hear from the self defense teasers. Only it was produced less often, just obout when the spark from the spark plug occurs. So could this be the spark plug?

>

> So, as a reminder, check your tire pressure more often.

>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4c.

Re: Another reminder that should be considered

Posted by: "liviu_m2002" liviu_m2002@yahoo.com   liviu_m2002

Mon May 10, 2010 5:49 am (PDT)



Ok, I changed the spark plug and it seems ok. Didn't hear the sound no more, I even did a test with the new plug to see if it works and it sparks where it should spark.

Guess the spark I changed was faulty or something.

Thanks again! Ride safe!

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "csburridge" <csburridge@...> wrote:
>
>
> > Very useful advice with T-CLOCS , I'll try to keep that in mind.
> > The spark plug is new, made only about a hundred or so kilometers so that should not be a problem. The only odd thing with the spark plug was when I first installed it some smoke went out the exhaust.
> > Could the spark plug be defective from the start?
> > Tomorrow night I will try to see if I can see anything around the plug.
> > I am still wondering, could I have done something wrong when adjusting the valves? I did what the manual said and I think if I would have done something wrong I should have noticed it ( it should have been obvious ) right?
> >
> > Thanks for the advice !
> >
> /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
> Hi,
>
> If you had miss adjusted the valves, you would know by the really poor performance from the bike, but since the only problem you had was a squirrelly feeling because off low tire pressure, I think you did the adjustment just fine. Plus you had the manual in front of you.
>
> If your Reflex can haul around two people with ten pounds of air pressure in the back tire(I assume that problem went away with the proper tire pressure), than you know it's working well. Proof positive that the Reflex is one tough little kick arse bike.
> Ride Safe
>
> Craig Burridge
>

5.

2001-2002 Honda Reflex service manual for sale

Posted by: "CP" partypoper@yahoo.com   partypoper

Sun May 9, 2010 7:12 pm (PDT)



Brand new condition for NSS250/A REFLEX

$35.00 + SHIP

Cheryl : alchemy0614@yahoo.com : 781-985-5409

Stay on top

of your group

activity with

Yahoo! Toolbar

Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Y! Groups blog

the best source

for the latest

scoop on Groups.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment