Friday, May 7, 2010

Honda Reflex Group Digest Number 4820

Messages In This Digest (11 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: 2002 reflex

Posted by: "Catfish" CatfishRacing@GMail.com   catfishracing

Thu May 6, 2010 10:39 am (PDT)



I just bought mine.
2002 non-ABS
6,528 miles
$1,000
http://www.catfishracing.com/Bikes/Reflex/Reflex.htm
Not perfect but OK.

Catfish
www.FarkleMasters.com
IBA #12835
AMA Lifer #462122

esvs wrote:
> Trying to sell 2002 reflex with 6500 original miles. Asking $1500.00 no takers for 6 months. Scooter is in excellent condition. Candy Red no ABS. What is the selling price ? Have been offered $700.00. NADA book value is $1600-$2100.00. Whats wrong.

2a.

Reflex not starting up, help...

Posted by: "losmoran@bellsouth.net" losmoran@bellsouth.net   losmoran@bellsouth.net

Thu May 6, 2010 5:09 pm (PDT)



Hi All,
I am a new member here, My wife owns a 2004 Reflex that has been sitting for about 9-10 months and it will not start. I tried starting it last week and trhe battery was very week... I ordered a battery tender and the battery charged fine but after three or four attempts at starting it began to get week... I'm hoping for some guidance in stating it. The engine and fuel lines are difficult to get to and before I ventured into taking it apart to maybe try some starting fluid I thought I'd check here... Any suggestions other than the mechanic?

Thank you
Los.

2b.

Re: Reflex not starting up, help...

Posted by: "Catfish" CatfishRacing@GMail.com   catfishracing

Thu May 6, 2010 6:33 pm (PDT)



I went through the exact same thing with my '02 a few weeks ago.
I drained as much of the 2 year old gas as I could and put in some
fresh fuel.
I threw a jump pack on the battery.
I took the air filter cover off and sprayed some starting fluid in
there and got it started (barely).
While I worked the throttle to keep it running at as high of an RPM as
I could I had a friend cover the intake of the carb with a spray paint
cap.
What this did was pretty much suck the jets clean enough that every
time we did it we gained a few hundred RPM.
A few times of doing that and I was riding it around the block and
dragging the center stand.
Since then I put in a fresh battery and fresh fuel with a splash of
100 octane low lead, Sea Foam, Marvel Mystery Oil and Sta-Bil.
I know all of the additives probably just cancel each other out but
I've done it before and it's never hurt anything.

Catfish
www.FarkleMasters.com
Sent from my iPhone

On May 6, 2010, at 8:08 PM, "losmoran@bellsouth.net" <losmoran@bellsouth.net
> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am a new member here, My wife owns a 2004 Reflex that has been
> sitting for about 9-10 months and it will not start. I tried
> starting it last week and trhe battery was very week... I ordered a
> battery tender and the battery charged fine but after three or four
> attempts at starting it began to get week... I'm hoping for some
> guidance in stating it. The engine and fuel lines are difficult to
> get to and before I ventured into taking it apart to maybe try some
> starting fluid I thought I'd check here... Any suggestions other
> than the mechanic?
>
> Thank you
> Los.
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

2c.

Re: Reflex not starting up, help...

Posted by: "BruceK" bruce@aplusservices.com   bruceakoehler

Thu May 6, 2010 6:43 pm (PDT)



Each of these is an INDIVIDUAL action - try one before you move on to the next:

1. JUMP start it - hook jumper cables to a NON-RUNNING car. The Reflex ignition needs lots of volts - a low battery will not start it (and a battery tender is only made to MAINTAIN the charge on an already OK battery).

2. Spray some Starting Fluid in the upper "vent" above the footboard on the kickstand-side of the scooter - try again.

3. Remove the little cover just in front of that vent, and remove and inspect the sparkplug. While it is OUT, crank the engine and see if you (hopefully) smell gas in the expelled air. Inspect the plug - clean or change - as appropriate.

Post back if you need more.
Post back anyway - with your results - that is the group "compensation" for the free advice - so that all will benefit.

Welcome to the group!

Bruce Koehler

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "losmoran@..." <losmoran@...> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
> I am a new member here, My wife owns a 2004 Reflex that has been sitting for about 9-10 months and it will not start. I tried starting it last week and trhe battery was very week... I ordered a battery tender and the battery charged fine but after three or four attempts at starting it began to get week... I'm hoping for some guidance in stating it. The engine and fuel lines are difficult to get to and before I ventured into taking it apart to maybe try some starting fluid I thought I'd check here... Any suggestions other than the mechanic?
>
> Thank you
> Los.
>

2d.

Re: Reflex not starting up, help...

Posted by: "Michael" mbr987@comcast.net   bandito_two

Thu May 6, 2010 7:26 pm (PDT)



--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "losmoran@..." <losmoran@...> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
> I am a new member here, My wife owns a 2004 Reflex that has been sitting for about 9-10 months and it will not start. I tried starting it last week and trhe battery was very week... I ordered a battery tender and the battery charged fine but after three or four attempts at starting it began to get week... I'm hoping for some guidance in stating it. The engine and fuel lines are difficult to get to and before I ventured into taking it apart to maybe try some starting fluid I thought I'd check here... Any suggestions other than the mechanic?
>
> Thank you
> Los.
>
/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

I had a bit of trouble getting my 2007 Reflex started this spring. It
was not as accessable as the 2004 Reflex and the 2006 Silverwing in
my garage and so it didn't get started during the winter as much. I
ran the battery down a couple(few, well OK, several) times trying to
start it this spring.

Save yourself trouble by siphoning as much of the old gas from the
tank, empty the float bowl, puting fresh gas in the tank with a few ounces of stuff called Sea foam.(Available at most auto parts stores.)
It's not likely to start successfully at all....ever... if you don't
get the old gas out and some kind of appropriate cleaning solution
running through the carb for at least part of a tank of gas. It will
start eventually, just be persistant. And, it WILL run rough for a
while til it cleans the carb some and may quit on you several times
during the process. Just recharge the battery in between times to
keep it from running down completely.

Also, I'm not big on using starting fluid and not sure how well it
would work, but you may try using it. But do get the old gas out
first. Otherwise, you'll just be running it for a few seconds at a
time all day long till you run out of patience, starting fluid,
battery juice, or any combination thereof.

Draining the float bowl involves removing the lower left side skirt
for better access and using a very short screwdriver to turn the
drain screw on the carburator. There is a bit of hose that comes off
the carb and the drain screw on the carb is near the upper end of
that hose. You can see this area by opening the spark plug access
panel and looking toward the back inside there and find the drain
screw by locating and following where that little drain hose goes up
to the carb. You will then see where to use the screwdriver. Be sure
to use something to catch the draining gas.(You don't want that all
over the floor since old gas WILL still burn explosively if ignited.)

Don't forget to close the drain after you are done draining the bowl.
Actually, I drained the bowl, turned the engine over a few times to
fill the bowl, then allowed it to empty again...repeated this process
several times to empty old fuel still in the lines before I made a
concerted effort to try starting the scoot.

You can find how to remove panels (carefully so you don't break tabs)
and empty the float bowl from the service manual. I recommend that If
you don't have one, then get one. You'll save yourself grief, time,
trouble and money by DIY and not depending on dubious and expensive
work done by "Qualified" motorcycle mechanics at the dealerships.
Plus, it will give you the satisfaction knowing the job was done
correctly and by your own hand. If you can twist a key and twist a
throttle, then you can twist a wrench. There is nothing mysterious
or difficult about most things that the average person may need to
do for maintaining their bike. A service manual and an adequate set
of metric tools should mostly get you by. Oh, and your friends here
at hondareflexowners. Just ask. It's not a stupid question if you
don't know the answer.
HTH

Mike B.

(Rochester Hills Michigan Double Dark Side Rider)
(2007 Honda NSS250S Reflex Sport "Scarlet")
(2006 Honda FSC600A Silverwing "Jester")

**** While knowledge has power, It is what you do with what you
know that is important.
It gives the knowledge validity and demonstrates its worth.
Use it wisely. **** (I wish I knew more)

3a.

Re: "New Gates Scooter Drive Belts Honda Reflex 250 PL30808"

Posted by: "Domenic_wiz" dparisano@comcast.net   Domenic_wiz

Thu May 6, 2010 7:23 pm (PDT)



Thanks for the feedback. I don't believe in getting by on the cheap when it comes to my safety or that of my family. OEM it is!

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, Joe Barnhart <flaboye@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Dominick.
>
> By all means go with the honda oem belt. Don't cut corners or cost on this
> particular item.
>
> I probably ride more than anyone here on a regular basis. I can attest to
> the fact that the OEM belt
> is good for 12,000+ but I would take Bruce's suggestion and change them
> around 10,000 miles.
>
> I am on my 4th OEM belt just shy of 46k on the odometer. A couple of the
> belts I ran past 12k obviously.
>
> Howver, the additional miles divided by the cost isn't worth getting
> stranded and I will no longer do so.
>
> Having the rear lock is also a possibility though unlikely. Again it's your
> life, why risk
> it unnecessarily.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Joe
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

3b.

Re: "New Gates Scooter Drive Belts Honda Reflex 250 PL30808"

Posted by: "Joe Barnhart" flaboye@gmail.com   jtbgnsv

Thu May 6, 2010 7:49 pm (PDT)



Your welcome!

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Domenic_wiz <dparisano@comcast.net> wrote:

>
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I don't believe in getting by on the cheap when it
> comes to my safety or that of my family. OEM it is!
>
> --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com<hondareflexowners%40yahoogroups.com>,
> Joe Barnhart <flaboye@...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Dominick.
> >
> > By all means go with the honda oem belt. Don't cut corners or cost on
> this
> > particular item.
> >
> > I probably ride more than anyone here on a regular basis. I can attest to
> > the fact that the OEM belt
> > is good for 12,000+ but I would take Bruce's suggestion and change them
> > around 10,000 miles.
> >
> > I am on my 4th OEM belt just shy of 46k on the odometer. A couple of the
> > belts I ran past 12k obviously.
> >
> > Howver, the additional miles divided by the cost isn't worth getting
> > stranded and I will no longer do so.
> >
> > Having the rear lock is also a possibility though unlikely. Again it's
> your
> > life, why risk
> > it unnecessarily.
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Joe
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4a.

Honda rear hard case mount wobbles

Posted by: "jd" robert@lumenosity.com   lenzdudeaz1

Thu May 6, 2010 7:46 pm (PDT)



I just purchased an '07 Sport ABS that came with the Honda rear hard case and quick-release mount. The case and QR work perfectly but the mount itself is loose on the bracket that's mounted to the rear spoiler/handrail. I looked to see if the 4 bolts holding the QR mount to the bracket were loose but they're all tight and there's still play between the rubber grommets used to dampen the mount.

Does anyone else have this Honda case and mount and can tell me if this wobbly/loose mounting is purposeful and normal, or is this installation faulty?

4b.

Re: Honda rear hard case mount wobbles

Posted by: "Cathy Hamma" cathy@clktech.com   cathy.hamma@att.net

Thu May 6, 2010 9:21 pm (PDT)



If it's the case and mount purchased from Honda, then I had to add an extra
washer for a tight fit. Mine had acorn nuts. Or, you can change to nuts
with nylon inserts to tighten it up.

Cathy (who just hated the noise from the loose mount) Hamma

2007 Honda Reflex, NW Chicago Suburbs, Illinois

From: hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of jd
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 9:43 PM
To: hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Honda Reflex Group Honda rear hard case mount wobbles

I just purchased an '07 Sport ABS that came with the Honda rear hard case
and quick-release mount. The case and QR work perfectly but the mount itself
is loose on the bracket that's mounted to the rear spoiler/handrail. I
looked to see if the 4 bolts holding the QR mount to the bracket were loose
but they're all tight and there's still play between the rubber grommets
used to dampen the mount.

Does anyone else have this Honda case and mount and can tell me if this
wobbly/loose mounting is purposeful and normal, or is this installation
faulty?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Used  2007 reflex

Posted by: "b2scooter58" b2scooter58@yahoo.com   b2scooter58

Thu May 6, 2010 8:51 pm (PDT)



Possible owner on 2007 Reflex with low miles.
I ride an 1984 Elite 125 that I have had about 3 years and enjoy it alot just want to get something that is for highway use short day rides
not planning to go more than 80-100 miles round trip.
The elite can go 55 mph but thats on a good day 45 mph appears to be a good speed for the scooter.I need to know what is fair market price for Reflex in spotless condition with less than 1500 miles it is base Reflex without ABS. KBB has Reflex at 3350 but states this covers dealers advetisments and cost I am looking to buy from a private seller.
Thanks for any respone and I have enjoyed the information on this site.

5b.

Re: Used  2007 reflex

Posted by: "James Blosser" rcbloss@yahoo.com   rcbloss

Fri May 7, 2010 5:51 am (PDT)



Hi, I have just bought a 2006 reflex sport for $3000 that included 2 helmets. Your price does not sound so bad since it is a year newer. I would think that an offer of $3000 to your seller would be accepted. This scooter sold new for almost $6000. Hope this helps, Jim

--- On Thu, 5/6/10, b2scooter58 <b2scooter58@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: b2scooter58 <b2scooter58@yahoo.com>
Subject: Honda Reflex Group Used 2007 reflex
To: hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, May 6, 2010, 11:46 PM

 

Possible owner on 2007 Reflex with low miles.
I ride an 1984 Elite 125 that I have had about 3 years and enjoy it alot just want to get something that is for highway use short day rides
not planning to go more than 80-100 miles round trip.
The elite can go 55 mph but thats on a good day 45 mph appears to be a good speed for the scooter.I need to know what is fair market price for Reflex in spotless condition with less than 1500 miles it is base Reflex without ABS. KBB has Reflex at 3350 but states this covers dealers advetisments and cost I am looking to buy from a private seller.
Thanks for any respone and I have enjoyed the information on this site.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Stay on top

of your group

activity with

Yahoo! Toolbar

Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Find helpful tips

for Moderators

on the Yahoo!

Groups team blog.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment