Sunday, April 18, 2010

Honda Reflex Group Digest Number 4800

Messages In This Digest (3 Messages)

1a.
Re: Anti freeze in air filter box More info From: omeltschenkokonrad
2.
Bolt replacement From: steveglessing
3.1.
File - New Membership Request - IGNORE if you are a member.txt From: hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com

Messages

1a.

Re: Anti freeze in air filter box More info

Posted by: "omeltschenkokonrad" omeltschenkokonrad@yahoo.com   omeltschenkokonrad

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:23 pm (PDT)



Thanks for responding again. If they can't fix the scooter, I will take it to a different shop. My daughter has had luck with getting her scooter serviced. I will get the name of the shop that she uses and see if they can fix mine.

I read the file regarding the cooling system but I couldn't figure where the lines to the carb run. How much of the body do I have to take off to be able to see the coolant line?

Konrad O

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "BruceK" <bruce@...> wrote:
>
> The other air hose is air into the PAIR valve - emissions control.
>
> Clearly the coolant didn't come in to the air cleaner that way - since it was disconnected.
>
> The problem is that the shop has screwed up the CARB, which has a coolant line running through it.
>
> It isn't the head gasket, and if they claim it is, you are getting scr_w_d! A blown head gasket will never result in coolant getting into the air cleaner.
>
> For what it's worth
>
> Bruce Koehler - the Koehlerizer
> Santa Cruz, CA
>
> --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "omeltschenkokonrad" <omeltschenkokonrad@> wrote:
> >
> > The mechanic said the head gasket may be blown.
> >
> > When I opened the air cleaner box I noticed antifreeze at the back bottom where the tubes are. The clear tube would fill with antifreeze, I would get a couple of tablespoons full of fluid when I opened it. Antifreeze also drained from the bottom black hose. I can't figure out where the antifreeze came from.
> >
> > There is a hose the top back of the air cleaner housing which was disonnected. I reconnected it before I dropped the scooter off at the Honda shop
> >
> > Any Ideas would be appreciated.
> > Konrad o
> >
> > --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "omeltschenkokonrad" <omeltschenkokonrad@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I went on a 70 mile group ride this Saturday. I ran into the same problem Reflex stalled and when I tried to start it got cloud of white smoke again. I was able to start it by giving it full throttle and back off a bit until the engine started. I was able to ride for another 5 to 6 miles when the engine stalled. I would do the same routine and the engine would start. It also stalled when I was going down hill and my revs dropped. I made it to the end of the ride by keeping slight pressure on the throttle so it won't stall. I also noticed anti freeze in the clear tube with the plug. I opened that several times to drain the fluid.
> > >
> > > Today I took the air cleaner housing apart and cleaned it. Took it for a 5 mi ride same problem.
> > >
> > > I couldn't find the metal cap to check the antifreeze.
> > >
> > > I am taking the Reflex back to the shop this week hopefully they can find the problem and fix it this time.
> > >
> > > Konrad O
> > >
> > > --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "BruceK" <bruce@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > no
> > > >
> > > > Bruce
> > > >
> > > > --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "omeltschenkokonrad" <omeltschenkokonrad@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > Thanks for the information. Could this happen if I overfilled the antifreeze system? It appeared low so I filled it, but I don't remember if I filled it before or after I went for my ride when I had the engine problem.
> > > > > Konrad O
> > > > >
> > > > > --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "BruceK" <bruce@> wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > There is a hose from the cooling system that goes to the carb - to heat it up for better cold weather / emissions performance.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > It sounds like the shop has made a mistake doing the rebuild; although it is possible that the coolant just ran in there in the process of removing the carb for the rebuild.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > The coolant there will not damage the engine - but certainly the source must be found.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I suggest that you clean out the air cleaner housing immaculately - then if any more coolant appears - take the scooter back to the shop.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Also - obviously - keep a close watch on the coolant level - keeping in mind that you should periodically check it at the metal cap under the battery cover WITH ENGINE COLD. See the FILES section for info. Do not depend solely on checking the coolant reservoir near the gas filler - it there is an air leak in the cooling system, there will be no resultant vacuum to pull coolant UP from the reservoir to replenish the lost coolant (dumb design).
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Please post back with what you fin - so that other can benefit from your experience.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Hope that helps
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Bruce Koehler - the Koehlerizer
> > > > > > Santa Cruz, CA
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "omeltschenkokonrad" <omeltschenkokonrad@> wrote:
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > I just had my scooter serviced last week. It had bad gas in it from being stored without a stabilizer in the fuel. The mechanic at the Honda dealer cleaned the carburator. I got the Reflex back and it ran and started fine. I took a ride and 1/2 hour or so into the ride the scooter stalled. When I tried to start it a lot of white smoke came out of the exhaust. After a few minutes of trying to start the scooter it finally ran. I was able to get home. This happened several times. I noticed what appeared to be antifreeze coming out of the drain at the back bottom of the air filter box. I took the scooter back to the dealer. They couldn't find an antifreeze leak. They changed the oil saying it probably had antifreeze in it. I got it back yesterday and so far it starts and runs fine. I am concerned because I am taking part in a Cincinnati scooter club ride this weekend and hopefully my antifreeze problem won't reoccur on the ride.
> > > > > > > Any ideas on how the antifreeze got in the air filter box? This is a 2005 Reflex with a K-Mod. I have 1400 miles on it.
> > > > > > > Konrad O
> > > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>

2.

Bolt replacement

Posted by: "steveglessing" steveglessing@yahoo.com   steveglessing

Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:47 pm (PDT)



I'm thinking of taking the rear wheel off to rectify a slow leak in the tire. I haven't done this before, but the book makes it seem not too hard. My question is, do the brake disc bolts and caliper mount bolts have to be replaced each time, as per instructions. Really, EVERY time? I rely on your collective wisdom. Thanks, Steve

3.1.

File - New Membership Request - IGNORE if you are a member.txt

Posted by: "hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com" hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com

Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:37 am (PDT)




Don't just "reply" to this - READ IT - then provide the requested info:

If you request membership using a PAID VALIDATABLE e-mail address,
you can ignore this message.

If you requested membership using a free e-mail address
(like yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc), you must EITHER supply:
an e-mail address for a PAID e-mail service,
OR
a phone # where you can be contacted.

An e-mail is SENT TO THE FREE E-MAIL ADDRESS YOU PROVIDED REQUESTING THIS INFO -
If you don't check that free e-mail address - or don't reply to the message,
your membership will not be activated!

You will have to EITHER supply an e-mail address for a PAID e-mail service,
OR supply a phone # where you can be contacted.

This is to keep spammers, scammers, and other problems out of this group.

Your free e-mail address will be used once your membership is activated,
and your paid e-mail address will not be revealed unless you choose to do so.

Bruce Koehler
Owner, hondareflexowners group

PS - if you received this as an e-mail at the e-mail address you provided,
reply to this message with the contact info requested above.
If you don't reply within 14 days, Yahoo deletes your membership request.

PPS - this message is automatically posted to the group twice a month,
because some people (like me) create a free e-mail account just to join a group,
and then NEVER check that e-mail.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Sell Online

Start selling with

our award-winning

e-commerce tools.

Group Charity

i-SAFE

Keep your kids

safer online

Y! Groups blog

The place to go

to stay informed

on Groups news!

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Welcome to Mom Connection! Share stories, news and more with moms like you.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment