Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Honda Reflex Group Digest Number 4717

Messages In This Digest (5 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Stalling out.

Posted by: "BruceK" bruce@aplusservices.com   bruceakoehler

Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:05 pm (PST)



0. Check the compression - should be over 200#.

1. Check for air leaks - spray some Starting Fluid around the carb, intake, etc. If it speeds up, you have found the leak.

2. Check the air filter - and by the way, it will not run properly (too lean) without a proper air filter element.

3. Try "patching in" an alternate temporary gasoline source - perhaps from a gas can above the carb (gravity feed) and small hose - bypass EVERYTHING except the carb - to isolate the problem.

Please post back so all can benefit.

Thanks

Bruce Koehler

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "ricemoto987" <ricemoto987@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> I'm waiting for some time to pull my carb off and clean it. I've had idling problems for a couple months now. I've changed the fuel filter and run a whole can of sea foam thru mine as well. Also removed the gas and put in a tank of new gas. Runs pretty good beyond 3.5 rpms just won't stay running when idling.
>
> --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "bob63653" <bob63653@> wrote:
> >
> > I just found out what the problem was. Two months ago I took apart all the plastic to get to the carb and air housing. When I put everything back I had two screws remaining. Of course, I was to lazy to find out where they go. My honda mechanic just told me the air housing to the carb was not tight and had separated. This is what was causing the stalling. At $191 which includes pickup, new spark plug and tightening I learned my lesson the hard way. Do the job right if your going to play home mechanic. Thanks for everyone's help.
> > Bob
> >
> > --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "satyrswoman" <satyrswoman@> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > if none of the home remedies work i suggest taking it to your honda mechanic and ask him to check the automatic choke. that's what was causing my starting issues that my friend, a motorcycle mechanic, did not find.
> > >
> > > woman and t-bo (blue '06), houston, tx
> > >
> >
>

1b.

Re: Stalling out.

Posted by: "Joe Barnhart" flaboye@gmail.com   jtbgnsv

Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:11 pm (PST)



I'll add an experience here I forgot about until I saw someone mention the
air filter.

I bought a k&n and it requires you remove the little gasket that the oem
uses. Well they give you a tube of sealant to squeeze all around in there
(replaces the gasket) the k&n won't fit just right with the oem gasket in
place.

So, smart me, I look at it, it fits in there snug I thought why would they
insist on this sealant. So, you guess it, I didn't put the sealant in,
tightened everything up and the scooter wasn't happy. Enough air was
leaking behind the k&n that the air fuel mixture was conked.

After installing the sealant it's been fine ever since.

Just a FYI for anyone about to do a k&n and will come to the same conclusion
I did, lol.

Joe

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 3:00 PM, BruceK <bruce@aplusservices.com> wrote:

>
>
> 0. Check the compression - should be over 200#.
>
> 1. Check for air leaks - spray some Starting Fluid around the carb, intake,
> etc. If it speeds up, you have found the leak.
>
> 2. Check the air filter - and by the way, it will not run properly (too
> lean) without a proper air filter element.
>
> 3. Try "patching in" an alternate temporary gasoline source - perhaps from
> a gas can above the carb (gravity feed) and small hose - bypass EVERYTHING
> except the carb - to isolate the problem.
>
> Please post back so all can benefit.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bruce Koehler
>
> --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com<hondareflexowners%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "ricemoto987" <ricemoto987@...> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > I'm waiting for some time to pull my carb off and clean it. I've had
> idling problems for a couple months now. I've changed the fuel filter and
> run a whole can of sea foam thru mine as well. Also removed the gas and put
> in a tank of new gas. Runs pretty good beyond 3.5 rpms just won't stay
> running when idling.
> >
> > --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com<hondareflexowners%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "bob63653" <bob63653@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I just found out what the problem was. Two months ago I took apart all
> the plastic to get to the carb and air housing. When I put everything back I
> had two screws remaining. Of course, I was to lazy to find out where they
> go. My honda mechanic just told me the air housing to the carb was not tight
> and had separated. This is what was causing the stalling. At $191 which
> includes pickup, new spark plug and tightening I learned my lesson the hard
> way. Do the job right if your going to play home mechanic. Thanks for
> everyone's help.
> > > Bob
> > >
> > > --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com<hondareflexowners%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "satyrswoman" <satyrswoman@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > if none of the home remedies work i suggest taking it to your honda
> mechanic and ask him to check the automatic choke. that's what was causing
> my starting issues that my friend, a motorcycle mechanic, did not find.
> > > >
> > > > woman and t-bo (blue '06), houston, tx
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: Useful life of Honda Reflex?--Mike B's tire configuration

Posted by: "irvus" irvuss@gmail.com   irvus

Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:50 pm (PST)



Mike B:
What size car tire are you using for the rear and o you have any photos of this set up? What are the benefits/downsides to this config? It sounds like a good idea. The 16'' tires on a lot of 250 scooters were a pull to me before i up and bought The Yellowest.
Thanky
irv

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mbr987@...> wrote:
>
> --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "csburridge" <csburridge@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Marie,
> >
> > I don't see the Reflex losing it's popularity any time soon for those who commute or do short local trips. In fact, that is what my Reflex is used for primarily. If fuel costs go back up, as some say they will, I think the Reflex will have a surge in buyers again.
> >
> > However, I can understand how someone could simply grow tired of the Reflexs limitations. After all the bike is powered only by a 250cc engine (which is really a great engine for what it does and how well it holds up).
> >
> > On long highway trips, while at freeway speeds, the Reflex is nearly at maximum output and flirting with the red line. On mountain roads steep inclines reduce acceleration(but declines are always fun-on anything)and can be a cause for concern, depending on traffic. These are the only limitations that I have run into with the Reflex, but I can live with them. Some folks can't and move up.
> >
> > My friend Mike has moved up to the Silverwing, and I too have considered such a move, but I'm still having a blast with my 40,000 mile Reflex and can not wait for warmer weather to return to rack up some more cost effective miles.
> >
> > I hope spring comes fast. I'm having terrible scooter withdrawal symptoms.
> > Ride Safe
> >
> > Craig Burridge
> >
> >
> :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
> Consider the Elite,(the scooter, not the rich and powerful) the Helix
> and some of the other older scoots of 25 years or so vintage. They're
> still around. Parts are not quite as easy to get as they once were,
> but they still can be found. Plenty of poorly treated and ailng
> scoots to cannibalize yet too. Also, some clone parts may present a
> work around in some regards. If this cap and trade debacle actually
> manages to come about and cause energy costs to "neccessarily
> skyrocket", then watch for Honda to do a rethink of the US market for
> a midsize maxi-scooter. Regretably, the Chinese are likely to be even
> more aggressive with importing their cheap motor vehicles.
>
> Actually, the Silverwing is not so much a move up as it is an
> augmentation. It's just that with retirement a prospect sometime in
> the next couple of years, I'd like to have a bike to take on extended
> cross country road trips and be comfortable while doing it. The
> Reflex will remain my primary ride. Most of my riding will likely continue to be generally local and the Reflex will best fill that role. Sporty, good looking, alot of fun to ride and economical too. That's the Reflex.
>
> Mike B. (who is also looking forward to the coming riding season)
>
> (Rochester Hills Michigan Double Dark Side Rider)
> (2007 Honda NSS250S Reflex Sport "Scarlet")
> (2006 Honda FSC600A Silverwing "Jester")
> ( Both with a car tire on the rear )
> (and scooter rear tire on the front)
>
> (2004 Honda NSS250S Reflex Sport "After Midnight") recently sold to my brother
> (1987 Honda CN250 Helix not named) sold years ago
>
>
> **** While knowledge has power, It is what you do with what you
> know that is important.
> It gives the knowledge validity and demonstrates its worth.
> Use it wisely. **** (I wish I knew more)
>

2b.

Re: Useful life of Honda Reflex?--Mike B's tire configuration

Posted by: "Michael" mbr987@comcast.net   bandito_two

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:59 pm (PST)



--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "irvus" <irvuss@...> wrote:
>
> Mike B:
> What size car tire are you using for the rear and o you have any
> photos of this set up? What are the benefits/downsides to this
> config? It sounds like a good idea. The 16'' tires on a lot of
> 250 scooters were a pull to me before i up and bought The
> Yellowest.
> Thanky
> irv
>

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Currently I am using a Hercules G2000T 155/80R12 on the rear of the
Reflex, though it previously had a Federal Super Steel 729 145/70R12
mounted. I ran the 145/70 for about 11,000 miles before mounting the
155/80. The 145/70R12 was mounted to the scoot without modifications.
The 155/80R12 required grinding out just a little bit on the swingarm
so that it would fit because the tire was just a teeny bit too wide
at the sidewall. There is another rider here (freedomfyter) that is
using a Goodyear Winter President Radial HT snow tire sized 145/80R12
successfully without any modifications to the swingarm. If you are
interested, last I knew, he had some of those tires for sale. Search
the archives here for car tire on reflex or other references to car
tires. It still seems to be a subject of debate(sometimes intense),
but you read and decide if this is something you would want to do. I
have some pics in the photos section in an album named Car tires and
swingarm mods.(second page of the albums) Mostly has pics of the
145/70R12. I don't have many pictures of the 155/80, but there is at
least 1 there. I am very, very happy with the tire configuration as
it is. No problems, and I am especially pleased with the improvement
to my fuel economy.
Actually, the 2004 Reflex has recently been sold to my brother with
the car tire setup. But I have A red 2007 Reflex with the exact same
tires on it too.

Mike B.

(Rochester Hills Michigan Double Dark Side Rider)
(2007 Honda NSS250S Reflex Sport "Scarlet")
(2006 Honda FSC600A Silverwing "Jester")
( Both with a car tire on the rear )
(and scooter rear tire on the front)

(2004 Honda NSS250S Reflex Sport "After Midnight") recently sold to
my brother

(1987 Honda CN250 Helix not named) sold years ago

**** While knowledge has power, It is what you do with what you
know that is important.
It gives the knowledge validity and demonstrates its worth.
Use it wisely. **** (I wish I knew more)

3.

Mike B's tire configuration

Posted by: "irvus" irvuss@gmail.com   irvus

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:21 pm (PST)



Mike B:
In response to Marie, you instructed that you had a car tire on the rear and the rear tire on the front.
What size car tire are you using for the rear and do you have any photos of this set up?
What are the benefits/downsides to this config?
It sounds like a good idea.
The 16'' tires on a lot of 250 scooters were a pull before purchase of The Yellowest.
Thanky
irv

---

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Check out the

Y! Groups blog

Stay up to speed

on all things Groups!

Dog Fanatics

on Yahoo! Groups

Find people who are

crazy about dogs.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

No comments:

Post a Comment