Monday, March 2, 2009

Scooter Resource -- BikeLug

I've just purchased a Bikelug trailer to transport my 2007 Reflex from
Brockville, Ontario [in the cold] to Florida [in the warm- I hope].

Today I tried to load the Reflex solo and was unsuccessful. It looks
simple on paper but in practice I was unable to drive it to the point
where the front tire engages the chock. Once that is done, in theory,
the scooter is held in an upright position while you tie it down. Bike
lug says you can do this solo but recommend having a buddy handy just
in case.

I've made some adjustments and will try again tomorrow but the problem
seems to be that the scoot does not have enough power to ride up onto
the chock and I certainly can't push it. The Reflex has plenty of
power in all other situations.

You can see the Bikelug operation at their website but, in brief, when
you have the trailer attached to the tow vehicle you can release the
narrow bed from horizontal so the rear end drops about a foot to touch
the ground. Then you simply ride up the slope. Being alone I can't see
the wheels but they are guided in a V shaped channel till the front
tire is just short of the chock. Then it drops into a slight
depression and has to roll onto the pivoting chock. At that point I
have to take my feet from the road and move them to the trailer axle.
Balance is not the best at than moment.

Any suggestions or guidance would be most appreciated.

FYI, my tow vehicle is a 2004 R Vision Trail Lite B+ 26' motorhome
that was recently acquired as well. It began life in Denver, Colorado
and eventually arrived in Canada in pristine condition. Due to my
wife's medical condition, Alzheimer's, I was not able to travel for
almost 10 years. Regretfully but mercifully she passed away late last
year. Anyway I have decided it is time to get out there and do things.
The Reflex purchase, new in 07, has gotten me back into bikes after a
55 year absence and I'm loving it.

I'll be following Interstate 81 to Winchester, VA; crossing over to
I95 and south to Daytona Beach to see friends. Then I'll go cross
country to the Naples area where my neighbors from here spend the
winter. They are more upscale and drive Silver Wings!

My last penetration of Florida took place almost 48 years ago when I
had the good fortune to be attached to the American Army for
helicopter pilot training and a subsequent posting to Fort Benning
with the 94th Transportation Company. During that time we flew in
support of Ranger training in the wilds of Elgin AFB. It seems like
just yesterday but much water has passed under the bridge since then.
Pardon the reminiscing!

All the best,

Peter
______________________________________
First, please accept my condolences for your wife. Illness or not, it has to hurt to lose a
spouse. I'm glad to see you are still interested in life and I the a Reflex is great for that.

I've never used a bikelug trailer, but I'm interested in one. If you don't mind me asking,
what does something like that cost?

It has been my experience that trailering anything with two wheels takes two people. I
don't care what the bikelug people say, it is just safer to do with a buddy. Even if their job
is just to call an ambulance.

I think this trailer would work better with a regular motorcycle, where the engine and
center of gravity is more towards the front/center. I think the Reflex is just too light in
front to actuate the pivot when the front wheel reaches the chock. Long story short, I'd
use a buddy. Sorry, I know that is not what you wanted to hear.
____________________________________________
This morning, with my neighbor beside me, I straddled the Reflex and
was able to power it onto the chock with no problem. I guess I was
just uncertain where the wheels were. If I had walked next to it I
could have seen things better but I feared that the chock might not
provide upright support and I could have been stranded there forever.
Now I've been there, done that and know what to expect next time.

As to cost, the Bikelug costs around 1500 USD. Not cheap but they ship
to Canada and were offering free shipping to the Border in February.
One competitor, Bike in a Bag, is more expensive and does not ship to
Canada. They make what they call a scooter model but the only apparent
difference is the addition of the stabilizing chock. Dealers for both
makes are few and far between.

The advantage of both makes is that they assemble and dis-assemble
very quickly and easily. You can actually carry one in your trunk.

Thanks,

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment