Friday, March 27, 2009

Scooter Resource -- Kymco Agility 125


The Kymco Agility 125 is a great entry-level or minimalistic entry into twist and go scooting. It's low weight, tight wheelbase and peppy engine all make for a surprisingly sporty ride.

Kymco is a Taiwanese company that has manufactured high-quality transportation (on-road and off-road) since 1963. They started out at Kwang Yang Motor Company, the operate five plants across Asia. Kymco is the largest scooter manufacturer in Taiwan, and export to 86 countries worldwide. Although the Agility is made in China, it's made in one of Kymco's ISO-9001 certified factories and I would not hesitate to recommend one of the inexpensive China-built scooters from Kymco.

The Agility is well-balanced and features truly remarkable braking performance from a meaty front disc brake. It one wanted to, stoppies would not be a problem on this scoot. It grabs so well that I really have to check behind me for close-following cars as they would never be able to stop in time if I really had to nail 'em to avoid something in the street. Performance is very good for a 125 and it easily pulls all but the most determined cars from red lights. I've changed out every other one of my roller weights to provide a little more zip from a start and it's a great combination.

The Agility has decent-sized underseat storage, but sadly offers up a bit of slop on the latching mechanism. It also presents a very rough ride over the pothole-strewn roads of Michigan, but that's the price you pay for a tight, handling-oriented set-up. A very sturdy rear rack is standard and you might notice that I've painted mine bright orange in order to increase rear visibility. I also have the Puig "Touring" screen on the scoot. It's a good compromise between blocking some wind (actually shooting it right at your face) and not looking too boy-in-a-bubble.I also added some checkerboard stickers for side visability. So far, so good!

My mileage has been nothing short of awesome, and I can get mid 70's without even trying. My highest mileage has been 83 mpg on some very calm, neighborhood-style scooting. Flat out, this scooter will do about 61 mph with the screen on, and that's enough for my use. I like the idea that I can get almost 80 mpg and safely and comfortably cruise at 45-50 mph.

The Agility is also available in a 50cc version and that would make a great started scoot for anyone who is cramped on other 50cc designs. It's exactly the same scoot as the 125 except for a unique flip up buddy seat that turns into a cool backrest when not in use. My 125 doesn't have that feature and yes I'm looking for a 50cc version to see if I can retrofit it.

The Agility 125 is a great entry level scooter with sport styling. It's a wonderful commuter, great on gas and offers surprising performance.The downside is the aforementioned loose latch on the seat and a marginal low-beam headlight.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Sym scooters as well, and I hope to soon bring you a comparison between the Agility 125 and the Sym Fiddle II 125.
How to Restore and Maintain Your Vespa Motorscooter (Motorbooks Workshop)

No comments:

Post a Comment